Smoke on startup - valve stem oil seals?

Hi, my 200TDi Defender smokes quite bad on start up. I realise this is nothing unusual but it seems to be getting worse. Before I changed the engine oil it was black smoke, now with new oil it's grey and almost white. Is this likely to be just the valve stem oil seals wearing out?

If so, is it a fairly straightforward job to take the head off, valves out and change the seals?

Cheers, Dave.

Reply to
Dave

Or possibly a dying turbo.

Reply to
EMB

yep not its not that difficult to do takes a bit and be careful to torque down the head per the manual, check for the correct head gasket the tab with the holes in is on the offside about halfway back mind you at this time of the year you will get extra condensates when you fire up generally smoke wise white is water, blue is oil, black is overfuelling .but if EMB is correct and an ailing turbo can go on for ages try this - when you stop let the car idle for a little while before you switch off it lets the turbo cool down and allows excess fuel and if its about any oily bits in the intake burn off. Kato starts at lot better if I remember to do that and only puffs a bit. Derek 'Kato' Disco 200tdi 'Miles' Disco 300tdi

Reply to
Derek

Normally takes a while before any condensate starts to show and it's not what I would call "smoke". Smoke is something that only disperses with the wind it doesn't just "disapper". White smoke I'd put down to unburt fuel.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Is it really lumpy / rough running when it first runs?

If so, when my 200tdi did this it was a leaky injector that was dripping into the cylinder overnight and causing white smoke on startup.

Get someone so start it and see if the smoke smells of diesel.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Mine let go with blue smoke that could be seen from space ;)

Reply to
Nige

If it is unburnt fuel you could start it and walk round the back for a sniff.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's a good shout about letting the turbo cool down - how long do you think it should idle?

I think I need to get an assistant to accurately assess the smokiness and colour.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave

It's not lumpy at all, starts first turn and runs smoothly, and I don't think it's got an unburnt diesel smell but I've never exactly deliberately sniffed it to be fair :-) I'll get SWMBO to help out next time I start it up.

Thanks,

Dave.

Reply to
Dave

I only run it for a minute or two seems to do the job Kato has that dark blue privacy glass even the ruddy mirrors are tinted so I have to walk round the back to see owt, dead handy if I need to give Madonna a lift ( I wish) . Derek

Reply to
Derek