So it's the Range Stormer then!

The new smaller Range Rover sport model with road biased suspension to take on the X5 et al is officially to be called the Range Stormer. So now we know. Not a name I would have thought of, but then I'm not being paid to come up with one. The released bits of spec looks interesting and could take on most rivals too. Mind you I think the Toureg V10 D might be a bit of a challenge. :-)

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Just been reading CAR magazine and they reckon the V8 petrol Toerag is much better than the V10 diesel - quicker by most measures and much better handling without that great lorry motor up front. They are all useless off-road of course, but thats not what they are for I suppose.

Reply to
Exit

...is officially to be called the Range Stormer.

What a daft name! Dunno why but it sounds a bit 'Village People' to me... soooo macho ;-) Still, I reckon lots of highly paid advertising 'creatives' worked long and hard on that one... the same kind of idiots that came up with 'um bongo, um bongo, they drink it in the Congo' Seriously though, what do you call a new vehicle? Any nominations for the best and worst?

Reply to
David Sillitoe

We don't even get much snow in winter any more, down here. The biggest risk is the speed bumps in the car parks in Lincoln. But something like an ordinary car, with 4wd, slightly bigger wheels, and good tyres, would be a sensible vehicle in a lot of places.

You could call it a Freelander. :)

Reply to
David G. Bell

In article , Bob Hobden writes

Better than Strange Rover. Only just though.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

On or around Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:56:25 GMT, "Exit" enlightened us thusly:

yebbut, they did take it to the desert to find a real Tuareg to look at it, and it didn't get stuck, despite the fact that they expected it to.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sounds like something out of the Star Wars films.

Reply to
Nikki

Well...

Free Ranger (sounds a bit like chicken, perhaps) Free Rover (dog version of free willy)

or... R5 Rangeoreg Rangenne Range Cruiser Ranjero

(see - could have been worse)

- Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

EVO magazine took the last Ferrari Testarossa to the sahara and didn't get it stuck either - it's a great article, worth back ordering. If the sahara required off-road ability they would all use Peugeot 504's out of preference! :)

Reply to
Exit

Nissan Cedric (how pipe'n'slippers) Ford Probe (so macho and penetrating, it shouts "I have worries about my manhood") VW Sharan (where's Tracy?) Chrysler Rancho (think of a rufty-tufty word and put an O on the end to make it sound exotic)

Jeez, there's squillions.

DaveP

Incidentally, is it REALLY true that "Pajero" is Portuguese for "wanker", or is that an urban myth?

Reply to
Dave Pseudonym

its perfectly named. The same advertising "creatives" and media PR types are the people going to be buying it anyway, so they might as well call it something that appeals to their strange social demographic. Reminds me of last weeks top gear - people buying "fashion" cars like they would a handbag. Once its not fashionable in a years time they flog it on for the next fashion vehicle. Explains the X5 and all the other soft roaders on the market. Its fashionable to take your kids to school in a 4x4 - fashionable to drive to your swanky winebar with other swanky people in a 4x4 - blahblah,

so so soooo sad.

Nick C

Reply to
Nick C

Ah!, so it would be fashionable if I turned up at the Wine Bar in my S111then?Should I clean my wellies first? :-) Next thing is you'll be telling me its "in" to use bailing twine to keep my trousers up to.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

It is around here - I'm reduced to that new, fangled netting wrap off the big bales and it just don't look as cool.

I did see the 'Top Gear' bit being talked about here - on the convertible Renault and Peugot, frankly (not having watched Top Gear for a few years) I found this piece pretty much epitomised the whole programme - boorish, laddish and well, I'll not be watching any more of them thank you very much.

Best bit is that the 'fashion cars' weighed in at £18K apiece - obviously the folks that buy things like that move in much more rarefied financial circles than the likes of me.

New Range Stormer? Well if it tows around three tonnes and it's residual value plummets like a stone I'd buy one in a few years time - who gives a brass monkey's what the thing looks like - so long as it does the job

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

In article , Bob Hobden writes

Bailer twine'll never go out of fashion...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

The Barn Stormer ? What a silly name that is. Why not :

Pot Smoker Groin Groaner Sturm Führer Rats Bugger or 'Little status symbull for people that would like a Range but can't actually afford one' ?

Or wouldn't that fit on the boot lid, since it's supposed to be a bit smaller than the Range....

I think doom has definitely been spelt for the Defender. Get one while stocks last.

Peter R.

Reply to
Peter R.

What colour do you use? Orange is soooo passé

Reply to
pl.white

Not impressed. Sounds a bit overdramatic. Doesn't really play to the eco side either does it?

As it's the RaRo's little brother, how about Range Runt?

Reply to
David French

I can honestly say that at the school my kids go to I am the only parent with a 4x4. There seems to be a prevailing trend towards MPV's of various sorts. This morning two Chryslers, a Daewoo, a Toyota, 4 Renaults.

Reply to
Nikki

I have still got some *proper* sisal type twine - the good old fashioned stuff that rots in under a year so your bales all fall apart when you lift them. (local farmer here has a stockpile that must be the EEC Mountain of the stuff).

Otherwise? Blue.

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Cripes, that takes me back. I grew up in deepest Cornwall, and (as this was before t'internet, and we had to make our own entertainment) it was amazing what you could make out of used baler twine. Blue was most common, with some sisal, but red, orange and eve green all put in an appearance at times.

Reply to
QrizB