so this is why it was ticking! (knackered v8 lifter!)

Put the heads back on today and had a proper look at all the lifters...

I found out why it was ticking:

The bottom of it is really badly dished. All the rest of em look fine. It is the 5th lifter on the LHS - which makes it an intake valve i think.

Ive turned the engine over a few times and there doesnt seem to be much of a lobe on that particular lifter either.

All the rest look fine.

What causes wear like this?. is it just the cam/lifter together or is there something else i should look at?

I'm going to stick a single new lifter on to replace it for now but it looks like it definately needs the camshaft fitting as there cant be a whole lot going on in that pot with so little inlet valve movment!

Reply to
Tom Woods

on the cam under that lifter i mean. doh!

Reply to
Tom Woods

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Tom Woods wibbled :

Think that's what happens to V8 rover cams, not awfully robust. Think Badger will be better able to be definitive.

Reply to
GbH

Poor oil feed will do it in quick time and in order to get a poor oil feed simply don't change the oil and filters often enough. I am willing to bet amongst the majority of AFL enthusiasts are cars which get oil changes around 2-3k before required- hands up? Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Sun, 8 Apr 2007 19:19:35 +0100, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

they're made from cast iron.

one cam lobe wearing unduly points to a fault in the lubrication somewhere. I imagine thought that they're all worn to a greater or lesser degree - it's amazing just how much they can be worn and still run.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 08 Apr 2007 19:43:26 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

nah. 6K intervals, more or less. Use decent oil with API spec SG or better (anti-sludge) and always change filters, even on ones where they say you don't have to.

Mind, the SIII is self-changing - burns it fast enough that by 6000 miles it'll be new oil anyway :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Chilled cast iron usually, 'ard as an 'ores 'art.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

It looks fairly clean inside so i reckon its been looked after. It only had one owner before me and after the army - and had clean oil in when i bought it. All the other lifters look perfect except this one. i 'spose this is how the rover cams go?

Innards -

looks like it as been apart before too (though judging from the sand on the valley gasket this was pre iraq!) since it has 'standard' written inside it.

Reply to
Tom Woods

They must 'ave 'ad soft 'arted 'ores in the landrover factory back in ye 70's ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Poorly lubricated ones at that ...

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On or around Sun, 08 Apr 2007 21:27:20 +0100, Steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

that don't stop 'em wearing out.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

but with big lobes...

Reply to
Tom Woods

-

I had one do the same on my '86 110 V8, it had only done 30k miles with one old lady owner from new (until I bought it). Exactly the same

- one lobe completely gone on the cam and several more on their way out. New cam, lifters, chain etc (all done by Badger for a very reasonble price) sorted it out very well, immediate effect on power!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Have you got Edward sorted now then Austin? If so, what was it?

Reply to
Nige

On or around Mon, 9 Apr 2007 10:58:01 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

more or less. misfire now limited to hard left-handers. sometimes a touch reluctant to fire up when hot, but then again I could get tuits to put a 12V starting feed into the (ballasted) coil.

I think in the end it was a combination of shagged ignition components.

Reply to
Austin Shackles