Some nice lanes

I thought I'd take the scenic route back from a visit to my parents in Cheshire to my home in Bletchley today and take in a few lanes. So here they are:

From near the Cat & Fiddle to Buxton.

A very nice lane, one steep descent just over 1/2 way that was quite fun and needed a bit of care to find the best route through the loose rocks. Otherwise a nice easy lane with a good stone surface and stunning views. Met a couple of walkers and several mountain bikers, all friendly and no hassles. If you're near Buxton I'd recommend you give this one a go - I suspect I'll now use it as my regular route from Macclesfield to Buxton. Should be drivable all year given the surface.

From Beely Lodge (South end of Chatsworth Estate) to Beely Moor

A good lane, very easy with an excellent surface. Probably doable in any vehicle, but good anyway. Again used by walkers and cyclists, but no problems. Worth doing if you're in the area but I wouldn't go out of my way for this one (but could be combined with the next two for a very nice hour or two).

3/4 of a mile East of the last one.

A very short lane - anything could use this. I only included it to cut off the corner.

3/4 Mile south of the last one.

A cracking lane - mostly pretty easy but the last 500 yards was washed out to such an extent I turned back (no problem - there's a gate just before the washed out bit where you can turn a 110). The washout's so bad that half the lane's 2' or more below the other and I feared for my diffs on the boulders. It was still worth doing with a nice mix of woods and more open countryside and a very good surface throughout until the washed out section. Fantastic views across the valley. The second lane's northernmost section was used as a route back to the "normal" roads.

Met 2 trail bikers and several walkers, again all friendly.

It all made a mundane trip home *MUCH* more fun and, strangely (added 2 hours on to my usual trip time), far less tiring.

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

Do that one in winter - the slope is a sheet of ice! Great fun, either way. Anyone using that lane, usually referred to as "The Post Road",

*please* don't be tempted to join the bloody idiot(s) who decided to play on the hump at the top of the slope. After years of no one being stupid some prat decided to venture off the road about 2 years ago and it is now a complete mess. The future of that lane is now in doubt after something of a stand-off with the Peak Park over the years, their Rangers have even resorted to telling users it's illegal and threatening the Police. Remember, it is (and always has been) illegal to not follow the course of the road, unless there is an obstruction - and as the lane is about 20tf wide at the point there is no excuse. Some people just seem determined to get us banned.......

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In message , beamendsltd writes

I totally agree with you on that. I took my father for a trip on the lane on Friday to show him the responsible side of green laning and cringed when I saw the damage caused by thoughtless drivers - he's an ex RA member and has often ranted about the damage he sees when walking in Wales. If you want to play in the mud then go to a proper off road site, don't go damaging the lanes and surrounding countryside. There's few enough we can drive as it is after NERC.

I'll definitely give the lane a go over the winter - probably try it from the Buxton side first though - don't fancy ending up at the bottom of the hill in the stream, it's rather a long way to roll ;-)

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson