Some one mentioned braided hoses

It was said previously that braided hose can improve the brakeing on a series. I was wondering if there is a company/clever person that could make up a single hose that runs from the clutch master cylinger to the slave. I don't like the multiple connections and rubber sections. I'm guessing that all the connections are still that same as on Defenders. (what do they use between master and slave?)

I also want to change the short bleed pipe to a section of flexible hose and ditch the bracket that attaches to the clutch housing. Anybody done any of this before? Any thoughts on it.

David

Reply to
DavidM

Having had a brand new hose split in less than 12 months I'd not touch braided purely because you wouln't be able to see that split.

I know there are Pro's and Cons but thats just my opionion. Unlikely to kill you on a clutch mind.. but then if installing braded hoses is some attempt to improve the clutch operation then unless your current hose is ballooning I'd suggest that your problems will only continue.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Triumph Dolomites had a single flexible pipe between clutch master and slave. To be honest braided hose won't make a bit of difference on the clutch - it works fine as it is. The dolomite hose is some kind of plastic and should fit fine, just don't get it too near the exhaust manifold!! Most of the series stuff is girling, and imperial, I'm guessing the defender stuff will be metric and hence incompatible. Why not just change the bleed pipe to a bleed nipple and clip on a bit of rubber hose when you want to bleed?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Warner

I tried to get the slave cylinder off of the clutch housing last weekend and found it would not come out completely without detaching the bleed pipe. The hole thing was just too big to come clear because of the large bracket that 'supports' the bleed pipe. I was picturing a simple flexible system that could be easily removed to diagnose any problems. Don't really expect braided hose to improve clutch opperation. I'm pretty sure that the nasty britpart slave is leaking, much like the nasty britpart master did after less than 1000 miles. I think these cheap parts must be ok with regular use, but my SIII spends most of its life sat on the drive and only used odd weekends.

I'll just live with the pipes that are there, best not to over complcate things.

Reply to
DavidM

Watch this space................

(Lips sealed I'm affraid)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I can happily do both hoses for you no problem - do them quite often for various LRs and circuit racing cars....

They need to be made of -4 hose ( brakes are -3 size ) so as to allow the fluid to return through quick enough or the clutch slips...

As a guide price I have just made one for a rally-raid spec RRClassic - this one was 6' long and cost him £ 46.43 plus carriage. The bleed hose could be cheaper as I suppose it could be made of -3.....

Email me or phone 01938.850382

David LLAMA 4x4

David_LLAMA4x4

On or around Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:07:10 -0700, "David_LLAMA4x4" enlightened us thusly:

this talk of increasing the braking on the disco has me slightly baffled - the most common problem I get on mine is locking up front wheels.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 30 Sep 2004 08:12:37 -0700, "David_LLAMA4x4" enlightened us thusly:

I did know that... my point was that the brakes seem plenty powerful enough as they are, I don't have a problem with not enough brake force, only with not enough grip on wet muddy roads.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The locking of wheels is down to how much grip the tyres have on the road surface and how hard you press the pedal... Where stainless braid hoses would help in your case is by locking the wheels with less pressure on the pedal from your leg saving your leg muscles from too much strain!!

David LLAMA 4x4

David_LLAMA4x4

What brake pads are you using Austin - I'd tend to some harder front pads if you have a problem locking the front wheels (or some softer rear pads) to even the braking up a bit.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Fri, 01 Oct 2004 08:40:41 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

damned if I know, whatever were on it when I bought it :-)

prolly go with genuine replacements when they need 'em, as I've found them pretty reasonable in the past.

the main problem however is slimy roads and short sight distances. blasted lot are hauling timber out from forests all over the place, and spreading a thin layer of mud everywhere in the process.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ploughing of fileds for the first time in 3 years is the trend by us at the moment! Leaving the same thin layer of mud as you are suffering from all over the roads in and out of the village.... imagine if that was offroaders, or even quarry workers that made as much mess on the public highway as farmers!!!

David LLAMA 4x4

David_LLAMA4x4