Sorted the P38 steering problem

Upped the tyre pressure to 36 psi, got the box preload sorted properly & replaced the anti roll bar bushes front & drop arms. Drives like a new bloody car now!

Just the front crank oilseal to do now, i don't like the look of this job, too much tightenage & not enough way of checking tightenage. A job for mechman I reckon!!!

Also, a cheap supplier for grease guns?

Another thing, I thought I had a rumbling wheel bearing of worse, rear diff. Turned out to be one of the heatshields rubbing on the bloody front prop!!!

Another thing, the more I look at the short engine makes me feel it's had a new one at some time. It just hasn't got the same amount of shit on it & it did not have any wear at all for a car with 160k on the clock!

I do rather like this Land Rover!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Nige uttered summat worrerz funny about:

It's the weekend again....Clean off? ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I never got chance last time, but this time it will be so clean you will be able to see my reflection in the tailpipe! I got myself some back to black & what a stupid pissin' bottle it comes in, falls over if you even fart near it!

I have to admit i got bored (pissed) the other night & bought some of that stick on wood stuff for the dash. It came today & wow! it looks bloody good. I was very conservative, just getting the radio surround & the HEVAC panel. it does look very good indeed. Some eeeejits go nuts even doing the door locks etc.

It's gonna take me an hour to get 30 million flies off the front end!

Cheers

Nige

Reply to
Nige

replaced the anti roll bar

Err, I presume the rear? I'm running 28 front and 36 rear, the manual states 28/38 but the rears were wearing slightly more in the centre so I reduced to 36.

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler

replaced the anti roll bar

Up your front tyres to 36psi - it'll handle a load better, steer more nicely and won't make the kids carsick. 28psi is way too low - it's bordering on the sort of pressures that caused the Firestone problem with Ford SUVs in the US.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Mon, 24 Jul 2006 19:44:33 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

replaced the anti roll bar

no experience with a P38, but on the disco 1 running 235/70 rubber they wear perfectly on the front run at 36psi on road. The "oh, they all do that, guvnor" answer about discos and front tyre wear is down to underinflation, IMHO.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The fronts are way too low at 28psi, you will get edge wear & the car doesnt feel right Alan. I have no centre wear at 32-36 psi front as thats all i have ever had in it for 10,000 miles so far.

Cheers

Nige

Reply to
Nige