Sound in Freelander after starting engine

Hi all,

I have had a Freelander Diesel for a couple of months now. now that it is getting colder, there are strange sounds after about a minute after starting the engine. It sounds like the fan (sorry, do not know teh precise words) to cool but this seems unlikeable as after just one minute...

Any idea what this might be? soemone told me it might be a heater to get the diesel engine warm faster in winter. Does the Freelander have something like this?

Anna Klain

Reply to
Anna Klain

On or around Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:53:12 +0100, "Anna Klain" enlightened us thusly:

I believe it might.

hmmm, that's a thought, wonder if you can fit it to a 300 TDi. bloody thing takes ages to get warm in winter.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

there was a thread here recently about the td4 (or was it td5) and it's preheater thingy, someone who knows about it will be along presently, or have a poke on google and see if you can find the thread.

Austin, I've been thinking about removing my fixed-fan and replacing it with a kenlowe fan or pacet or something, one mounted more or less where the fixed fan is now and maybe another infront of the radiator. I'm hoping to reduce the warm-up time for my trips to cold places and also be sure there is loads of cooling for the summers which get jolly warm here. what are your thoughts oh great oracle.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Yup, it's the fuel-burning heater. If you look at the nearside front (on UK models) you'll see a silvery down pipe which is its exhaust. If the ground's really cold you see a small thawed area after a few minutes.

David

Reply to
Rabbits

On or around Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:38:23 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

hmmm. mixed.

I had an electric fan on the V8 110, was fine until it's motor seized and burnt out one hot day, leaving it with no cooling to speak of. After that I put a fixed one back on.

If you can get a viscous one, I'd go for that.

Mind, on a Di minibus (Perkins Prima 2.0) I removed the fan altogether, and it never overheated, even in traffic. I'd not recommend this on a TD or even really on a TDi.

2 fans would give you a backup system, I admit. I'm not sure that the fan contributes much to the warm-up time, though. The main problem with the TDi especially is that it's too bloody efficient, and doesn't make enough waster heat :-)

worth making sure that the thermostat works, mind - not expensive to replace, so if in doubt replace it. Also make sure the heater is operating up to spec - I used to find the 110 heater would gradually lose power - cured this by swapping the pipes into the heater matrix over every few months. Don't ask me why this works, but it worked on the disco an' all.

Another (2) things to check: When you put the heater control to "hot", does the flap in the heater box move all the way to the hot end of it's travel? and is the foam stuff around the heater matrix intact? On mine, the matrix was rattling around in the box, due to the foam strips having disintegrated, so that some of the air from the blower was going around it and not being heated. PITA to fix, that last. You have to get the whole thing out, drill out about 37 rivets to get the box apart, put suitable foam stuff around the matrix and replace (most of) the 37 rivets.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:42:26 -0000, "Rabbits" enlightened us thusly:

What does it heat? Or rather, where does the heat go? Into the heater directly via a heat exchanger or into the coolant?

This might be the solution to the problem of no heat for the first 3 miles or so in the TDi disco.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

looking in the paddocks book of skint, a viscous unit for a 2.5 n/a is £62.49 fair enough if it does what I want. what is the viscous bit? when replacing the water pump last week the fan bolts to the bulley bolts to the water pump, where does a viscous bit go?

Having the engine ticking over and poking around in the engine bay that fixed fan moves alot of air, but now I'm thinking that if the engine is not up to running temp then the thermostat is closed so the fan is not cooling the engine via the radiator anyway...

I've been fiddling with the heater bits yesterday as I feel the cold far more than the wife so I was blocking the passenger footwell heater outlet, I also checked the lever/cable on the top of the heater box and the lever was moving to the limit of it's travel. However there was air being blown out of the hole the pipes go into, so I stuffed some cotton rags in to try and block it.

I may try swapping the hoses, seems like it can do no harm.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

The Td4 takes a while to warm up enough to provide heat to the cabin so this is a way round it - the FBH provides additional heat to the cabin whilst the engine warms up. According to the handbook it's an auxiliary heater that only operates when the engine is running and the ambient temp is < 5deg C. At low temperatures the FBH maintains the temperature range required for optimum heating within the vehicle.

That said, I assume the heat goes directly into the main heater matrix. Seems to work, anyway.

David

Reply to
Rabbits

Hi there,

thanks for your answer - I am sure now that it is this preheater thing.!! Relief!

"Rabbits" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:cpemeo$rsr$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...

Right! I did see this exhaust near teh front (driver's side - uhm...left side in Germany...)

Thanks again!

Anna

Reply to
Anna Klain

Austin, I've been thinking about removing my fixed-fan and replacing

Nice thread hijack lol!

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

Yea I thought so hehehe, I did drop it to a new thread though...

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.