source for petrol pipe / hose 110 V8

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 12:43:45 +0000, beamendsltd wrote this gibberish:

As I understand it, Stromberg is (was) a carb brand name used by Solex (manufacturer).

Reply to
MarkVarley - MVP

Hello all,

This all started a year ago!! with my post below:-

Hi all,

It's a 1986 110 3.5 V8 on solex carbs. Since fixing the exhaust and having the cam replaced by Badger, it generally runs like a dream . On a trip to Edinburgh on Monday (about 150 miles each way) I noticed that on long uphill stretches if I kept my right foot down too far it started to kind of cough, sounding like it would if the choke is kept out too long. This is doing about 50-60 so difficult to hear exactly. If I ease off on the accelerator it recovers and happily continues up the hill, but a bit slower. I made some tests on the way home:- It will happily pull from less than 30mph in 5th (on the flat), It will rev easily if I hold off changing up, while keeping up with someone off the lights etc. It copes well with short hills in 5th, Will happily do over 75 on the flat / downhill, Long hills it does not like.

So any idea? could it be running a bit rich? It has the short fat round carbs not the tall thin round ones, can't remember which is which.

Cheers, Andrew

Update:- since then it just got worse, up to the point where I only just got up the hill with a cattle trailer on the back, and had to stop half way to let it recover before continuing. So I have in the last year:- Replaced fuel pump (in tank) and pump seems to be supplying plenty of fuel. Just this week:- Replaced pump to carb pipe with new one piece rubber, also temporarily bypassing the filter. Removed and cleaned carbs, replaced diaphragms (one had small split), checked float levels.

put it all back together yesterday and tested.... It is better, but still not happy. It's perfectly happy tootling around, but try going up a long hill at anything more that 30 and it starts to miss, cough, get very lumpy. Backing off the accelerator cures it after 30sec or so.

Any more ideas,? If not I'm going to ask Badger to take a look, it's driving me mad.

Cheers, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Condensor and coil. In that order.

Reply to
EMB

Thanks, doesn't appear to have a condensor, it has factory fitted elect. ignition. It has the coil and a magic box that the coil is mounted on, call ignition module or something like that. I'll try to find another coil to try though. Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Crap in the fuel tank partially blocking the pickup?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Good idea, but I don't think so, the tank looked spotless when I changed the pump, and the pump has a large cylindrical shaped filter on the bottom of the pickup, so I don't think it could easily get blocked.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Is the sock definitely clean ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Well it was when I fitted the new pump about 2 months ago, and immediately after fitting it, I still had the same problem. I can't check it again without dropping the tank, but I really don't think it's the pump.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

I can't find the post, but didn't you say you had actually checked the pump flow sometime ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

It has often been found that a piece of crap in the tank will be drawn up against the pickup up by the pump action. As soon as the pump is turned off the crap drops away, so the pickup appears clean. After running a while with the fuel slopping around and particularly when working hard (demanding most fuel) it gets picked up again.

Try disconnecting the fuel line in the engine bay, extending it into a jerry can, and pumping 20 litres of fuel through. If the flow drops dramatically only to return to full flow after stopping and starting again, you have it.

Of course this is not 100% as with the vehicle stationary the fuel does not get slopped around, try it with the front wheels on ramps to simulate going uphill perhaps.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

You appear to be able to get enough fuel to produce power for short periods but it is the sustained high fuel flow situations that are the problem. Is that a reasonable summary?

Blocked/partially blocked fuel tank breather?

Reply to
Dougal

Interesting idea, I will try that. Although the filter on the pikup is about 2 inches long, 1 inch diameter so I think it would be hard to block, but maybe partially would be possible. I did check the flow previously, filled a 1 litre container in less than 1 min. Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Your summary is perfect! (if it is a fuel problem...) and the breather idea is a new one, I will check that. Thanks.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.