Spare key fob

I need a spare 2 button key fob for my Defender. Where is the best place, please, to get a new one and can I program it myself?

Reply to
sarah

In message , sarah writes

I bought one recently from my local Independent, LandRanger Services in Middlewich - £35.00 + vat. They set it up for me but the instructions are in the handbook

Reply to
hugh

A new keyfob will need to be coded to you vehicles AS10 alarm/ immobilisation system before use. I'd speak to a local independent who can probably supply the keyfob and will have the testbook system to set everything up. The =A335 + vat charge would be reasonable for supply and setup of the keyfob imo.

Colin

Colin Reed

Does it depend on the age of the vehicle - and hence type of alarm.

Mine seems to consist of lots of turning the ignition key and opening the drivers door in accordance with the security code of the vehicle - which is fine if the switch still works. (1998 Defender V8i)

Reply to
hugh

Hugh

Have a look at this document, it's very useful.

Colin

Colin Reed

In message , Colin Reed writes

It is indeed very useful but not wholly accurate in that on my Defender entering the emergency access code involves turning the ignition key to the II position, not using the door key, and opening the drivers door to indicate the end of input of each digit.

However going back to the OP, on closer checking, my handbook refers to the resynchronisation of existing fobs, not the programming of new ones.

Reply to
hugh

Thanks for your input Hugh and Colin. My local Land Rover dealer quoted =A360 for a new fob and =A340 to program it!

Reply to
sarah

Land Rover got me the spare from Germany then synched it with existing one ........ total for the two operations was (as near as dam it) £100 inc Vat.

Thank fully I have now got rid of my LR and so I have emerged from the LR time warp, poor build quality and poor reliability.

I admire all that choose to 'stick with them'

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Quite a difference - find yourself a local independent. Mine supplies genuine LR parts at about half the price.

Reply to
hugh