Spare wheel on bonnet (2004 TD5 110)?

Will the "Deluxe" bonnet with the round dent fit (TD5 engine is tall)?

Can I use my (removed) rear door bracket on the bonnet?

Will the existing bonnet be strong enough? If not, what do I need to do?

Will the bonnet release lever still work? Or will it be a two person job to operate the lever and to lift the bonnet?

Hope some experienced landy people out there can help me. Many thanks in anticipation.

Greg

Reply to
Greg.S

I understand it's possible to fit a 300Tdi bonnet with pukka bonnet spare wheel carrier on a Td5 vehicle.

Are you talking about the late Discovery style spare wheel carrier? Not sure but I imagine you will need to strengthen the Td5 bonnet first!

I would not bother fitting a spare to the bonnet in the first place but if I had no choice I would fit a bonnet and carrier from an earleir vehicle as per the above. That said I did see an ad for a company making a Td5 bonnet spare wheel carrier in one of the magazines recently.

Yes it will work but it won't pop up with all that weight on it! You will also need to consider the adition of a stronger bonnet prop as the whispy thin rod on the Td5 bonnet ain't going to stand the strain of a spare wheel that's for sure!

If you absolutely insist on sticking a spare wheel up there an earlier, stronger bonnet and spare wheel mount is the way to go.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

Twas 18 Oct 2004 06:21:49 -0700 when snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Greg.S) put finger to keyboard producing:

I took the spare wheel carrier off the rear door of my 1984 110 and fitted it to the bonnet of the same, I have to mount the wheel upside down as the bolts seem too short but otherwise it fits just fine, I can open the bonnet myself with no problems.

I don't know how this translates to a TD5 though.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

That's odd I was always told that because of the head fittings on the 300 Tdi it could'nt entertain a spares bracket. If anybody knows any source for one please let me know as my rear door is getting on a bit !

Tia John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

So Greg.S was, like

I carried a spare on the bonnet of my 90 (2.5 n/a) with no problem, apart from the fact that it made the bonnet bloody heavy. The tyre rested on the metal of the bonnet, so the weight wasn't on the bracket. (It was one of the circular ones with a central locking pin, not the rear door type.) However, I have been told that the reason LR don't offer this with the Td5 is that the engine is too tall and there isn't room on the underside of the bonnet for the strengthening plate & fixings, necessary because the Td5 bonnet doesn't have the structural ribs of the older models. Just what I heard - best check it out.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I don't know how this translates to a TD5 though.

Although outwardly similar, internally Td5 bonnets are totally different from what went before. They are stiffened with a pressing as opposed to the frame and ribs a la earlier models.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

Not sure the 'Td5 is too tall' argument applies in reality - the Td5 in my

90 sits under the original 1988 bonnet perfectly, suggesting it should be possible to fit a pre-Td5 bonnet with a spare carrier just fine.

I'm sure there was a post on one of the forums/fora a few months ago about someone who'd done this with no probs.

My 2p worth would be to swap the Td5's bonnet with a pre Tdi bonnet for a bit to check it all fits - then if it does get an old style bonnet in the right colour/sprayed up to match :o)

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

snip

Thanks Martin, sounds a sensible idea. I just gotta find a Tdi bonnet to borrow. Preferebly the "deluxe" kind with the wheel indentation.

I'll report back any progress.

Thanks to all the above - lots of advice to think about there.

Greg

Reply to
Greg.S

"Greg.S" wrote

bonnet

Greg if you get LRM have a look at page 12 in the November edition.

You could get a kit from

Reg

Reply to
Reg