Speedo Gear Drive

Can anyone advise which speedo gear drive I need to 'correctly' calibrate my speedo in a '99 Td5 90. I am running 265/75 16 tyres. I have been quoted part number FRC3310 by my main dealer, but would like to confirm this before parting with the pricely sum of £8.48!!

TIA, Dave Competitor on Mac4x4 UK Challenge '03 & '04

Foxhunter

Yes FRC3310 is the Blue colour coded gear I have fitted to my 90 with

265x75 tyres and is as close as you are going to get ratio wise, mine is non TD5 so has cable drive speedo. Have the garage confirmed that this gear will work with TD5? My only experience of the electronic speedo setup is from the Discovery transfer box I bought for my 90, this was fitted with the electronic sender and when removed the speedo cable wouldn't even fit the drive gear which I had to replace (with FRC3310). The original gear was black and had 23 teeth, this means that if the electronic sender had been coupled to the new blue gear the speedo would have read 13% more than previously. Looking at your previous post at 60 mph on speedo GPS says you are going 65, with the new gear the speedo will read 68 this is about spot on according to SVA regulations I have built kitcars to (speedo must overread at all speeds).

As long as the square key drive on the oscillator/sender fits the hole in the top of the gear output shaft it will work fine (it's only a single allen head bolt that needs removing to release the sender so it's easy to check before buying) Hope this helps Fergus

Reply to
Fergus Kendall

Thanks for that Fergus. I was not mistrusting what you had said in my previous post. I just wanted to double check. How many times have we 'ALL' bought parts from main dealers, onlt to get home and fine they DONT fit. Fortunately, mine is coming from my main dealer who sold me the Td 5 90 plus my Td6 Vogue RR and 'er Indoors Td4 Es Premium. Still it is just nice to double check

I am glad i have located this newsgroup, the people who use it have helped me no end.

Many thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

"Fergus Kendall" Wrote

BUT, is it easy to get at???????

Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

Yes fairly easy to get at from underneath.

Reply to
Fergus Kendall