Spitting sound at 2.5K to 3-ishK revs on medium load

My RR V8 EFi 1988 has started to make a spitting sound at between 2500 and 3500 (or so) revs under medium load. I either can't hear it or it stops at higher revs and/or heavy load. I can't hear it off load which makes the guesswork of tracing it less than easy.

Any thoughts?

TIA Richard

Reply to
rjs

Manifold studs become worn allowing the down pipe nuts to work loose. The manifold will need removal and stud replacing it it's this.

Lee D

Reply to
Thingy_wotsit

Silly *********. I should have checked the 'guaranteed for life' Rimmer Bros SS exhaust for cracks where the 4-into-1 manifolds join the Y piece.

Anyone know how good they are wrt the guarantee?

Richard ;-(

Reply to
rjs

I have a rimmer stainless system on my 90. its very rusty!!!! when i rang them they said it will rust and the 'guarantee' covers for perforation only. the silencer is still very shiney! Personnnally i wouldnt touch them again . Richard

Reply to
Richard

Hi Lee

Both manifolds are split near were the 4 branches combine into one - just short of the connections to the Y piece.

Richard

Reply to
rjs

Reply to
hammy1967

Actually a split in at least one header pipe in each 4 branch exhaust pipe. (Thank goodness as I was fearing engine horrors)

Rgds

Richard

Reply to
rjs