Splitting DII body from chassis

Hi Guys. My recently acquired 2001 TD5 auto Discovery has quite bad corrosion on the chassis. I have been thinking of lifting the body off to get unrestricted access to deal with the corrosion before it becomes too bad. Anyone got any advice before I attempt this task? Thanks Davy M.

Reply to
David Murray

Quite surprised by that, the do surface rust, but the D2 normally isnt too bad on the rust front.

Where abouts is the main rust?

Lifting the body on a D2 is likely to be bloody hard work, so be honest

Reply to
Nige

The inside sections are generally good, but the outsides have thick rust flaking off, particularly at the rear. There are a couple of holes towards the back - in line with the rear wheels. There is a small bracket on the rear nearside which has just about rusted away.

I am concerned that rust is building up between the fuel tank and chassis and other inaccessible places.

I managed to remove the side steps - it took me two days. They are badly corroded and one of the fixing studs snapped rather than be persuaded to unscrew. I have slackened off and retightened each of the body to chassis bolts in anticipation of removing the body at some stage.

I'm looking for any advice members may be able to offer.

Thanks Davy M.

Reply to
David Murray