SRS warning light won't go out, after cruise switch install!

Hi all: I replaced a broken cruise control switch on my steering wheel today (1999 Disco 2) and after putting all back together I have the SRS light staying on in instrument panel. I was wondering if there is a reset button or something one must do after re and re-ing the airbag. I followed the removel procedure to the letter, disconnecting battery neg first, then pos

I cinched up the torx screws very tightly though the bag doesn't seem as set in place as it was. Not sure if this is the cause or not. Any ideas?

Bananaramma

It shouldn't need a reset, mine didn't. Sounds like something was dislodged or something. Next time it's serviced, let them reset the light and see if it stays off.

Reply to
David French

I just took it apart again and found I had pinched the shielding from the ignitor wires between the bags flange and the steering flange right where the torx screw tightens both halves. The bag seats much better and the srs warning light is out. All is good!

Bananaramma

Not that I'm aware of. Didn't need to do anything like that when I fitted cruise to my TD5.

Well IIRC there isn't a great deal of clearance but the air bag unit should fit reasonably well back where it was. I suggest you power down (battery neg terminal off) wait the 10 mins the take it off again to check for trapped wires or such like. The cruise wiring has little clips and things to hold it in a specific place and is only just long enough. Make sure the loop of wire to the air bag unit doesn't foul anything or get trapped when you put it back on.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks David, that's exactly what happened as I explained in previous post. The shielded wire wasn't in the clip but loose, and I accidently cinched it between either flange. I placed it in the clip and cinched back up and Voila....no more light.

Thanks

Bananaramma

I hope you checked for and repaired the damage. There must have been a short somewhere for the SRS ECU to be upset... From what I remember, you may have trouble getting the sleeving back far enough (or off) to see the actual wires.

Not sure I'd like to rely on the SRS ECU spotting if/when the wiring fails, I would like to think that the self tests are pretty fool proof though. Possibly worse is the damage allowing another short providing enough power to fire the airbag whilst driving...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

All valid points Dave. You're right in that it would be hard to peel the shielding back far enough which I didn't attempt. I thought the light may have stayed on due to poor seating of the 2 components, but your description has me feeling a bit nervous now, and maybe I should remove again and see if there is damage to the wires. A scary thought indeed!

Bananaramma

From what I remember it's just a fairly tough sleeving. All the firing circuits for the airbag(s) are protected like this from the SR ECU to the bag and in a bright colour.

Worth a look to make sure that it has no holes even small ones. The firing circuit itself is tested by the SRS ECU so I should imagine it would detect an open or short and signal the fault via the SRS light (as it did...).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In fact, ECU signals when everything is ok. I have Disco wit no airbag and installed newer instrument cluster. SRS warning is constantly on. So i have to rewire cluster, pull out bulbs or install SRS.

Kalev

Reply to
Kalev Kadak

Makes sense, you don't want the light to not come on because the wire between it and the ECU fails... I also keep forgetting that most of the indicators in the instrument panel are all similary controled from the various ECU's.

Most are also LEDs rather than bulbs, so probably soldered in so "removing the bulb" for your permenantly lit SRS light might not be as straight fordward as you think.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice