Stainless Steel Exhausts

Hi,

I need to replace the exhaust on my 1998 Range Rover 4.6 HSE and I want to fit a stainless steel system. I've looked at Rimmer Bros and RPI engineering (amongst others) and all have highly polished bling boy-racer style tailpipes. Does anyone know of a heat resistant black paint (preferably spray) that will adhere to polished stainless steel? Does anyone have experience of the stainless systems from either of these suppliers? From their website pictures they look to be identical systems. Does anyone have any experience of the quad pipe systems?

Thanks in advance

Alan C

Reply to
AC

Ive got a rimmer exhaust on the 101. Its not polished - its only as shiny as stainless steel is as standard.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Like Tom, I have a Rimmer Stainless system, large bore sports exhaust. It's in a 101 with a 4.6L V8 from a Rangie, so you should be fine. Worth it if only for the sound alone, but don't worry about the looks, it'll soon fade in and look like a normal exhaust, 'cept without the rust :-)

Reply to
Mother

so Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Ow does one get a custom bent exhaust made ? My 200 Tdi project is going to need one. Or can you buy bends and roll your own ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

That would be great. Thanks Tom !

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

You can buy pre bent tubing in various diameters and materials if you fancy building your own. I know a bloke currently building a 3" exhaust for a saab. I'll try and get the details of the place he's getting his bits from. He said they have a web page with all the available bits on

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yes, please post it here. I could be a customer.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I've not dealt with Rpi for exhausts, but they were very helpful with my Weber 500.

My 3.5 V8 has a Rimmer stainless exhaust, the product was fine, delivery very good, but I had some trouble with a warranty claim when the middle silencer started rattling. I rang them to see what the returns procedure was and they explained that they don't just swap the faulty part for new one, they collect it, repair it and deliver it back, usually within a week. Since I was taking the gearbox out a few months later I arranged to leave it until then to save having the vehicle off the road unnecessarily.

So, a few months later when the vehicle was off the road, I rang Rimmers who collected it as arranged and hoped it would be back at about the same time as the gearbox came back from the rebuilders. Sure enough, a box from Rimmers arrived, containing a brand new silencer! I assumed my old one had been to bad to repair and they had replaced it.

A few weeks later I received a letter from a "manager" at Rimmers containing what I can only describe as a thorough b*llocking. (Excuse the asterisk - if substitute it with an "o" the tiscali news server refuses to forward it!) He explained that it was not their policy to replace faulty parts, but to repair them, and I should never expect this treatment again!

I wrote back complaining about the tone of the letter and its implication that I had somehow extorted a new silencer from them, but never got a reply!

I still have no idea why they sent me a new silencer without any explanation, and even less why they seemed to think I was wrong to accept it!

Andy Fox

110 V8
Reply to
Andy Fox

Wow. Now how the hell do you design what you want I wonder ? Bigger diameter = better ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

haha, one of the places he is using is Milner Off Road in Matlock. I never knew they sold bits of pipe! -

Also Jetex.
and goto 'custom build parts'.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Out of interest, what with me being a nosy bugger and all, taking off the PIPE.HTM and having a poke about at

instead, what the hell is a "Fiddle Brake" when its at home ? Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

A steering brake that operates on the rear wheels, I've seen them used on Hurst Hemi Under Glass, a dragster that spends most of its time with the nose pointing skywards, the fiddle brakes allow steering when the front wheels are off the ground :-)

The under glass bit refers to a glass panel in the floor that gives the driver a bit of forward vision. Totally crazy machine - I can put a picture online if you want to see it in action.

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

Got to see that then.

Will at-signs lancre dot net ?

You off to Wadfest on the 3rd September then ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Jetex were 3 X more expensive than Milner according to a little check on their price for 3 inch St.st pipe ! Ouch Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

On or around Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:32:35 +0000 (UTC), Will Wilkinson enlightened us thusly:

also used on trials cars - the ability to brake rear wheels individually can be used to emulate traction control manually. in other words, you brake the wheel that's unloaded and therefore spinning, in the hope that the other one has more grip.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Should mine ever need replacing and I get any grief I'll just go park Grumble up outside their stand at any of the shows and give them the simple choice of replacement or 12 foot banner along the side of the truck (and rev it - lots)... :-)

Reply to
Mother

Unfortunately not, would love to go but other commitments prevent it :-(

Photo is at

not linked from the rest of the site - I just popped it up for quick viewing.

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

What a crazy motor !

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

You want to make the gas flow better. Bigger exhaust and also cut out any restrictive bits such as harsh bends.

From what i've been learning about exhausts for saab turbo engines (and if you are working with a tdi presumably some of this will transfer?) - just changing the bit where the gas exits the turbo makes a lot of difference. In the case of the saab, you replace a fairly harsh 2" diameter cast

90 degree bend with a bit of 3 inch pipe that manages to turn the 90 degrees by doing it as multiple smaller angles (compare the pictures here
an example). It however takes up more space and you have to shift stuff out of the way to achieve it.

With a turbo engine, you dont gain a whole lot of noise by putting bigger and less restrictive exhausts on as the turbo tends to 'muffle' it all in a way (so i'm told). My car also has had the mid exhaust box replaced by a straight through pipe. makes it slightly more throaty when you get moving - but not in an obnoxious way!

I think you want to be building an exhaust that is as big as you can manage, and that has nice gradual bends in place of any harsh ones :)

Reply to
Tom Woods