Stalling when stopping

Right, me 3.9V8 M reg Disco has over the past few months been stalling when coming to s stop. Spoke to my tame spanner man and he said "take the air by pass valve off the plenum chamber and clean and re fit". Assuming this is the Stepper motor??.

Took it off and it was full of black gunge, unscrewed actual valve thingy and the rod/spring fell out. Looking at the small screw thread on it, i'm assuming the motor pulls the plunger up and down. Pushed rod/spring back in and re assembled (fibre washer fell to bits and i screwed it in too far and car wouldn't start). A bit of realignment later and the car starts and does seem alot better. So my questions are:

A) Should the rod fall out (i'm guessing not)

B) Is the washer importent or will a bit a gakset gunge do the job

C) What price for a new one

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J