Started the axle strip down...

Of this here front Sailsbury axle on Morph. Interestingly LRS local non franchised were less than keen to take it on. Legs have quoted between £500 and £750 depending on if in needed a Pinion and Crown wheel, only problem being the expence and getting him there.

So today having finished contoring myself to put the new Air con pipe on the Disco (LPG vaporisors in the way) , I finally plucked up the courage to take a look at Morph.

The Diff pan came off simple enough, I was expecteding very stubborn bolts here (I'll no doubt have to pay somewhere along the line!). Then I jacked up the wheel and rotated the Diff and the noise still seemed to be coming from the Pinion area with a definate rumble felt in the casing as the wheel was rotated. All the teeth appear in good condition as good as you can check visibly anyway.

I had a couple of goes at undoing the pinion flange nut.... here we go I thought, nothing.... if anything all I was doing was causing Morph to rock too and fro so I fabruicated myself a tool to hold the flange still and bolted it to the flange the other end wedged against the ground, after a little click the nut turned nicely... clearly not torqued up because this is how you set the preload of the pinion bearings on reassembly. So quite pleased with that progress I packed up for the day to fetch the mini-me's from school .

Now that may not seem like alot of work but to behonest It's been haunting me since I first figured out the Diff / bearings were suspect. Now realisitically I recon on a part day per side of the axle to remove the swivel seal, swivel pins, Track rod arms and then I'm ready to pull the old diff out.

First I need to get a dial guage to check the backlash in the diff before pulling it out too (NOTE TO SELF!).

I'll let you all know how I progress.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Am I right i thinking I'll need the spreader too to get it out, not just put it back? Could pick up the bits at the same time then when ready.

H'mmm I best look up these parts too save dawdleing

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Can lend you one if you need it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Yes.

I have found some of the corpse of my late, lamented diff spreader. I'll try and patch it up later, though we are recovering from the great storm of Heywood MKII on Sunday (2-4" of water in cellar)

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I've got a Hippo if it'll help!

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Diffs out, no need for the spreader, came out a treat and landed safely on a caravan step with a couple of carpet mats to prevent any damage... unlikely as the steps plastic. I way only going to pull the half shafts but carried on.

I've now removed the Pinion and the pinion bearing seats from the diff case. The face of the inner bearing has begun to disintergrate in one faily substatial patch and another smaller patch begining. Odd given this bearing is well lubricated but thats life. I just need to get the bearing off the pinion and new one pressed on and we should fingers crossed be rumble free. I can only hope!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sat, 22 Jul 2006 17:53:08 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

in view of the way the axle works, I'd be a bit worried about the fact that it didn't need spreading, meself. doesn't that mean it's not preloaded as it should be?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It does - but with new bearings everything will be different and some judicious re-shimming will be required.

Reply to
EMB

Think Shoehorning rather than falling on the floor. Certainly no where near as tough as I'd anticipated

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Not really a surprise with a knackered bearing.

Reply to
EMB

Except that Lee only reports the pinion bearings as having failed, I think.

You're right though - there is or was something wrong with the diff. support bearings either incorrectly adjusted initially, worn or the cup seats in the hosuing worn or any combination of the three.

Reply to
Dougal

Now that the wine's worn off ....

Another area of possible concern would be the diff. support bearing cones having turned on the diff. housing. Check there, too.

The shims should have protected the housing from any rotation of the diff. support bearing cups.

The pinion bearing damage you report sounds like fatigue. It could have been initiated by debris getting rolled into the tracks. It's not a lubrication issue: that looks very different.

Reply to
Dougal

Dougal uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I'm quite happy that the diff and case are fine.. the noise from the bearing rumble was definately sourced at the failed bearing. I'll post the piccys later, at the mo I'm in the middle of some study and just taking a breather.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

What is being suggested - helpfully I must add! - is that you probablly have two problems:

The pinion bearing which caused you to open the axle up in the first instance and the lack of diff. bearing support preload which resulted in you being able to take the diff. out without stretching the case.

It may be a case that the diff. support bearing preload was never right and if the diff case (where the bearing cone back faces seat), axle housing (where the bearing cups seat - separated by shims) and bearings themselves are OK this seems likely.

What we're suggesting, in the nicest possible way, is that having sorted the pinion bearings you should also attend to the preload issue on the diff. support bearings even though they weren't the source of the rumble.

Reply to
Dougal

Lee,

Yes, what he says is dead on. I'd worry too.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I stopped worrying when I realised I'd talked myself out of your axle/diff rolling programme! Remember, i've seen the length of the gutters you made for me remember, I reckon an Inch must be smaller up there ;-)

All concern duely noted and logic will be applied on replacement...

.. so how many times should I hit the diff with a lump hammer before it fits back in do you think?

;-)

Seriously appreciated!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Just rewmember the 'kers fitted my ambi - you of course have a weird extra long one by all accounts....

Steve

Reply to
steve

I have a donor axle now... Sure ??? Steve

Reply to
steve

Report immediately to the nearest branch of Screwfix and ask for some Rivet counters mouth wash.

What is the world coming to ;-)

Is that spreader looking any healthier for the refit with shimmed to take up any slack?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

None - do it properly with a bunch of shims, a micrometer and a spreader. The effort will be worth it in long term reliability.

Reply to
EMB