Starter Motor?

I went to start the def90 300tdi yesterday evening. but all I got was a click. after putting a booster across to not avail, I rolled it back and dropped the clutch in reverse, started straight up. I assume it was the starter motor jammed somehow, Is this a common problem?

TIA Eddie

Reply to
Eddie Morgan

God they are tough cars. 4th or maybe 3rd gear is the best choice to roll start any car - it puts a lot less strain on the whole drive train. And reverse is usually the weakest gear in a gearbox (even though it has the highest ratio) because the pinion usually sits on a cantilevered stub.

Reply to
jg

LOL I didnt start it in reverse. When I say rolled I mean at 3mph at most. I just freed up the starter, so I could then use the starter motor. (sorry badly worded by me). I was wondering if this was a common problem.

Reply to
Eddie Morgan

Oh, I'll let you off. But you know reverse won't drive the motor or starter backwards? Couldn't say, but the one thing I am an authority on is what wears out on old cars (of the less than common things like belts, hoses and tyres)

- the alternator and the starter.

Reply to
jg

Yes it is a very common problem and normally you just have to rock the car backwards and forwards in gear to free the starter.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Can be a common problem on a lot of different cars, the slide gets a wee bit sticky so the solonoid clicks and nothing else, rocking the car in gear can free it (which is what you did) Then works OK, will probably happen again, funny cars don't self heal!!, Solution? strip, clean lubricate and reasemble, (£0) just labour unless you find something broken), or replace (£££)

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

It happens with mine.

In mine it's the alarm/immobiliser thingie not working properly.

The red light stays on for a few seconds after you switch on, then goes out and everything works ok.

If you switch off, then switch on and wait until the red lamp goes out it works ok.

I'm told it's a common problem.

Reply to
William Black

True, but it can also be "just one of those things" and not happen again for

100,000 miles. Since it has been such an easy fix, I would recommend to the OP that he forgets about it until it happens again. Just keep parking on a slope :-)
Reply to
Rich B

I must admit for a minute or so thats what i thought the problem was at first, but after I gathered my thoughts and several on/off turns of the key, I confirmed to myself that the immobiliser LED was going out immediately.

Thanks to all

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie Morgan