Starter motor woes on frosty mornings...

Hi all,

For about 18months my 200tdi Defender 90 has had the occasional starting problem.

When I turn the key the starter motor spins like a good 'un but the engine doesnt turn over.

Often on the second attempt everything works as it should and I can drive away.

Over the last week or so when we've been having the frosts it can often take 8 - 10 attempts to get the thing to start.

It seems to have no problem starting when everything has warmed up.

Question - Whats wrong? It would appear that the starter cog isnt flying along the starter motor spindle to make contact with the flywheel???

I dont need to move the gearbox / flywheel to make it start so I dont think I'm any teeth missing on the flywheel.

Is it possible that it will just need a clean and re-grease or is it more likely a new starter motor.... if so price Richard please??

Also, Haynes Manual suggests access is easiest from the TOP... I think from below may be easier. Any suggestions / advice please?

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

The one-way clutch in the pinion is faulty. New one-way clutch/pinion required.

Reply to
EMB

Sounds like the solenoid is not shifting the yoke to engage the dog. A new starter is:

ERR5009 Starter Motor - 2.5D/TD/200/300Tdi - Bosch Type £91.65 inc VAT

but...

you could change the solenoid, as ever there are three types:

For Valeo starters:

RTC4978 Solenoid - Valeo Starter Motor - 2.5D/TD/200/300 Tdi £34.07 inc

For Bosch: STC1245R Solenoid - Starter Motor - 0-331-303-165 - 2.5D/TD/200Tdi/300Tdi £26.79 inc VAT or STC3715 Solenoid - Bosch & Lucas M47 Starter Motor - 9-330-331-006 - 2.5D/TD/200/300 Tdi £44.53 inc VAT I get them out through the top, but they are real buggers - you can see the bolts and they can be bloody tight. A large bucket of language is a prerequisite.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

EMB, thanks. Is the One-way clutch the same as the solenoid that Richard talks about in his reply?

Jon

Reply to
Jon

oops - you *can't* see the bolts.......

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Richard, Thanks for above. When you remove them from above does anything need to come off to gain access or do you just work within the confines of the space available?

Also, how do I tell which Solenoid / Starter I have - Can I go off chassis numbers or do they all have distinguishing marks / shapes?

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

Does this mean that access is possible but you cant see what your aiming at or they arent accessible from above??

Jon

Reply to
Jon

It's the former - you have to do at least one by feel.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 13:45:49 -0000, "bones"

What causes blueing when ignition switch is faulty?

David

Reply to
rads

"rads" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

It's the drive overheating if the starter is just spinning in mesh,Caused by a sticking or faulty ignition switch.Or starter relay problem.

Reply to
bones

No it's not. Logic says that if the solenoid isn't working, then the contacts do not close, so the starter acnnot spin over. However if the solenoid works and the starter spins, then the pinion must be engaging but not transmitting drive. The only thing that causes this is the one-way clutch.

Reply to
EMB

*Must* be engaging? Isn't the pinion thrown forward into engagement with the ring gear due to its interia and being on mounted on the coarsely threaded shaft of the starter motor. If the pinion is sticky on the shaft the motor will still spin but the pinion not engage. This fault can be a random in nature as the shocks from the motor starting and stopping can free the pinion... Fits the OPs orginal description fairly well.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Old inertia type - that's right. Modern pre-engaged type have the solenoid push the pinion into mesh.

Reply to
EMB

And Landrovers have the **Modern** type??? Wow, theres a suprise.

Reply to
Jon

But not *must* be engaging, it all depends on the timing of contact closure in relation to expected pinion position. However that is straw clutching. B-)

Bu what ever spining without apparent engagement is a starter fault either a sticky pinion on shaft or sticky clutch.

I suspect there is a change over period sometime in the 70's or 80's. Or prehaps between series and Defender, I'd expect Discos, Rangies etc to be all pre-engaged. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The 200/300Tdi (and optionaly 2.5TD) starters being the "modern" type.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Going back to the 2.25 engines on the Series III, the petrol and diesel engines have totally different starters. The petrol has a relay-only solenoid on the bulkhead, and (I think) an inertia starter. The diesel has the solenoid on the starter motor, closing the contacts and physically moving the pinion into mesh. As an ex-farmer, I tend to think of the latter type as standard, and don't have a special mental label for it.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Well its off...And its a Valeo Starter Motor. The motor housing and cables seem in good nick and the small cog (dont know what it should be called) on the end of the motor doesnt look too warn considering its done 150,000miles. The ends of the teeth are only very slightly warn.

So, I guess its time for a new solenoid.

Reply to
Jon

The "small cog" or pinion should be stiff to turn by hand in one direction and impossible to turn by hand in the other. If it is easy to move then that is your problem. The clutch that lives inside the pinion has failed.

Good luck

Reply to
Marc Draper

Thanks for this Marc, The pinion would move round in one direction, but not in the other. So from above clutch is OK?

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon