Starter motor woes on frosty mornings...

Yes sounds OK.

When the clutch does fail the starter will normally engage ok but will spin out after a couple of turns and "wizz". Not normally a problem on TDI engines. The TD engine using the same starter requires much more cranking to get started and they knacker the clutches more often.

Reply to
Marc Draper

This is what I suggested right back at the start of this thread. Incidentally, they sometimes fail so that they seem ok by hand too, and the only way to be sure is take a leap of faith and replace them.

Reply to
EMB

Ok guys, head scratching time....Perhaps.

Richard promptly delivered the new solenoid so I put it all back together last night.

On the first turn of the bloody key there was lots of whining and starter motor spinning noises but no engine turning over.

Given this is exactly the same as what was happening before the new solenoid, perhaps its the clutch?

After a lot of swearing I decided to take it all appart again and put my old solenoid back on and closely examine the teeth on the flywheel.

Flywheel: Looks like new, no badly warn or missing teeth.

Starter: With the starter motor on the ground and a spare 12V supply I fired up the starter. Instantly the pinion flys out and I can hear the same noise that I can when its on the motor (using both solenoids).

An interesting point that my father pointed out was that when the starter was spinning but not starting the engine was that the fan was turning ever so slowly???

This would be indicitave of the starter motor clutch would it not?? Assuming that the starting resistance of the 200tdi is greater than the ability of the starter clutch to lock out fully?

Also, I decided to take the starter appart last night. The workshop manual says that there should be a rubber pad (item 10 in the link below) in amongst the clutch workings - I have absolutely no traces of this left in the body.

Starter motor brushes, windings and magnets all look fine.

  1. Someone mentioned the clutch a while back. Would that be the general concensus now? If so can I buy a new clutch assembly?

  1. Buy a new starter motor...Are they exchange units?

  1. Is it worth getting one off a scrapper?

Any advice please. I really need the vehicle back on the road.

thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

Jon

On or around Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:08:41 +0000 (UTC), Jon enlightened us thusly:

sounds a lot like it, unless the ring gear is loose on the flywheel. Unusual but not unheard of. More likely that it'd fall off altogether than slip though, I would think.

generally, yeah.

pays yer money and takes yer chance, innit. You could get a good one, you could have the same fault or a different fault. If it's dead-easy to get apart, worth it. If it's a PITA to get off and on again, then I'd go with an exchange one to avoid having to do it again too soon.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

New one seems to be ball park £100

Its a definate PITA to get on and off

New "clutch assemblies" are ball park £40.

Several other people have said clutch assemblies tend to be quite consumable on these so its getting a new assembly put on tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!!

Reply to
Jon

I'd image that an exchange recon should be slightly cheaper than that? Just had the one for my car done and it was about £70

Reply to
Tom Woods

Ok - I rest my case. Do what you should have done to start with - buy a new one way clutch/pinion assembly, fit it, and it'll work again.

Reply to
EMB

Poor electrical supply, usually through earthing circuit. try running starter motor directly with jump leads, if it works then this likely to be problem, Or battery not delivering enough amps, check with a clamp meter or jump lead your battery to another battery.

Reply to
Warwick Barnes