steering shudder series III

The usual cause for this is inadequate preload on the swivel bearings. It may have been precipitated by the slight change in geometry when you replaced the springs on the front, and other factors can exacerbate the problem, such as steering problems, out of balance wheels, wide tyres, loose wheel bearings, loose u-bolts, loose or worn shackle pins or bushes. But the solution is almost always to correctly adjust the swivel preload. JD

Reply to
JD

Hi I have had a terrible steering shudder since replacing my leaf springs on the front of my 109". At 20mph the steering wheel saws from side to side violently and I have to stop dead and drive off again. The rear spring hangers have been replaced and I made up spacers according to another landy I measured. The spacers are installed at the rear hanger inboard side +-16mm thick. I tightened the spring hangars only after the load was put on axle as per manual. I also had to renew one bush which was broken not long after this problem arose and I have tried a number of times to strip and assemble the springs with no luck. PS. the steering and bearings swivel housing are all ok. Only thing I never did or checked was alignment, can this be a cause if the alignment went out during spring renewal? Any advice Thanks James

Reply to
jamsan

James,

How are your shock absorbers? And the steering relay unit?

Reply to
Matt