Steering wheel

Decided to replace the steering wheel on my 110 V8 csw, it has power steering. Current wheel is "flaking" and is too big for my preference. What size (diameter) is generally considered appropriate? I am thinking maybe

14".

Gerald

Reply to
Idris

14" or 15" Mountney wheels are really nice replacements... only thing, you will notice the difference when you lose the power assist going through puddles and so on, maybe a consideration if there are other smaller built people driving your LR then don't go smaller than LR ones, they will have trouble heaving it round then!

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie.macleod

Where has Fuzzy gone?

I never did get the series 3 steering wheel he promised to sell me nearly three months ago ;(

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

If you don't get fixed up I've got a couple in very good condition lying about. Whereabouts are you?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Well is doesn't look like I'm going to get the wheel off Fuzzy ;( I am prepared to pay a fair price for one in good condition complete with wheel center.

I live on the Wirral (oop norfp).

Regards,

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

If it just needs painting I can cope with that, the last one I got was not only worn down to bare metal it was also full of deep hacksaw blade cuts and it had no center section.

If you look here:

You'll see the old series 2 wheel is in good nick but after fitting a new steering box meant I needed a series 3 steering wheel because of the different splines etc.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

"Stephen Hull" wrote

Not too far away then, I'm just east of Manchester, in the sticks. I'll check them out tomorrow for more accurate assessment of condition and if I get over your way or vice versa then e-mail. By the way, that's a *nice* looking Series 2A

Martin.

Reply to
Oily

Hi Martin, Manchester is not too far, although the postage will only be about a fiver, still less than the fuel would be.

Having a decent 2a is the reason why I want a decent steering wheel to go with it, I'll pay about 20 quid plus postage for a good one.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

He did say a 'good' one!

Reply to
GbH

Bloody hell - Tesco's car park here I come....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd
[snip]

Well of course you should Richard know :), I spent a small fortune buying bits from you to make it look half decent.

Which reminds me, anyone got a set of center s2a seat support rails to fit the original series type seats? seeing as new ones aren't available any more.

Can Richard price the availability of the old (non inertia) type seat belts if there still legal?

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull
[snip]

Indeed, it was the same price agreed with the one fuzzy was supposed to send me.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

RTC6791 Seat Belt - Static RH - Series/Lightweight £28.20 inc VAT RTC6792 Seat Belt - Static LH - Series/Lightweight ditto

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I've got a couple of really good ones, in fact I think one is new but dusty from being on the shelf for quite some time. I'll pick the best one and see what the postage is tomorrow ( I may even have a late 2A one with same fitting as Series 3 with a horn button in the centre).

Martin

Reply to
Oily
[snip]

Thanks Richard, I noticed these belts listed on your site but wasn't sure what type they were. Do these particular belts come with floor fixing anchors between the seats? cos I don't have any, having had Ford fiesta seats fitted for absolutely yonks.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull
[snip]

Thanks Martin, A late 2a wheel would be fantastic, I could then reuse the horn button, although thats not really important but the wheels condition is.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

The top fixing loopy thing is part of the belt - at the bottom they screw into the gusset/anchor doo-dah at the bottom of the B post. The stalk, as far as I remember, has an integral fixy bit.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd
[snip]

Thanks Richard, I'll probably require these when I've finished working on the Landy. Still got to prioritise other work first though but at least I know the seat belts are still available when I need them ;)

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Steve, I have a late 2a wheel in very good condition but it has been painted (part of an abandoned restoration) clean and shiny but has a tiny crack at the outside edge of one of the spokes which cannot be seen from above and only if you look closely. I'm not sure if the horn button is smaller than the clamp type Series 2 wheel or even if i've got one but I'll make sure tomorrow. I also have two Series 3 wheels which are NOS but dull and slightly scratched with storage but not at all worn with handling (no cracks in those). I will check the horn part and weigh them for posting tomorrow as I have not had much time today.

Martin

Reply to
Oily
[snip]

Great, please let me know when you've had a chance to look at the steering wheels ;)

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull