Steering Wheel - Covering/binding?

Anybody got any ideas for a binding or covering for my Steering wheel on my SIIa? The surface is well worn, and collects dirt which comes off on my hands when it's damp. It seems a bit silly to wear gloves in the height of summer.

Any ideas?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Alex expelled:

Clean it up and give it a coat of 2 pot epoxy resin.

Reply to
EMB

In article , Alex writes

Many years ago I had the same problem with my IIA. I ended up making my own wheel cover with 1.5mm diameter rope, basically I plaited the line around the rim (4 strands side by side), and a bit of tidy rope work to cover the joins. The whole lot was topped of with a coat or two of limestone paint (same colour as the body). This made is easier to clean (a quick scrub over with soapy water), and on a hot day meant that you didn't get burnt hands. The surface texture gave a good grip, but wasn't harsh.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

On or around Sat, 19 Jun 2004 20:39:01 +0100, Alex enlightened us thusly:

Steering wheel cover? One here which came from a boot sale or similar:

Axius Ultimate-Grip steering wheel cover. fits 14.5 - 16.5.

I had one on the 110.

I daresay you can track down a supplier.

I happen to have an unused one here in a box; not likely to want it for the disco. If you can't find summat, it's yours for a fiver. I know for a fact it'll fit a 110, you might want to measure the wheel on the series, but I doubt it's much bigger.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles at snipped-for-privacy@ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk wrote on 20/6/04 10:43 am:

What about the stuff you bind the handles of squash rackets(or similar with)?

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Or handlebar tape as used on racing bikes - any good bike shop should stock that.

Lizzy

Reply to
Lizzy Taylor

in article 40d60145$0$4575$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk, Lizzy Taylor at snipped-for-privacy@thetaylorfamily.org.uk wrote on 20/6/04 10:27 pm:

probably the same stuff.

Bruce suggests gaffer tape.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Evo-Stik impact adhesive and coarse sand :@)

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Get the right stuff - the one *without* the adhesive. The stuff with adhesive on goes on great, but within a couple of days it leaks out over your hands, very messy. (That would include gaffer tape as well, I think.) The best handlebar tape has a profile (thick in the middle, thin at the edges) with a thin peel-off strip down the middle. Expensive, and it takes some patience to put it on correctly, but once it's there it stays, and it looks and feels great. You'd need to work out a way of securing the ends, though.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I'm obviously spoilt, I've only used the ebst stuff, didn't realise there was a cheap version. There is special tape for fixing the ends that should work for this application too.

Lizzy

Reply to
Steve

You could always just go to your local scrap yard and get a steering wheel from a montego/maestro, goes straight on, slightly smaller, but I had one on a lwb series 3 for a number of years and once you get used to it its ok.

...................................... Smurf

snipped-for-privacy@lwb3.co.uk

SMURF

On or around Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:09:14 +0100, "SMURF" enlightened us thusly:

doesn't fit the 110. don't know about the series, but I did look into different steering wheels for a 110, and the column on the 110 is smaller than a lot of Austin/Rover stuff. I suspect it's also a different fitting - ISTR such as the marina having a tapered spline, whereas the 110 at least has a taper and a parallel spline.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Time you updated your website, half the links don't work

Alex

Reply to
Alex