Steering Wheel Play

On a S3 I have considerable (4") play at the wheel with no movement of the wheels. Someone suggested the steering box needs adjustment. Found what I think is the correct screw, it's on the outside of the box (RH Drv) blocked by the wing. Pearing underneath the wing I can see a "square" box that should be able to be removed to gain access.

Problem is all the bolts for said box are rusted well on, thinking of cutting them off. Bit drastic so ....

  1. Am I on the right path for adjusting - i.e. dont want to cut this thing off and find this is the wrong screw
  2. 4" sounds a lot to me (I'm no fisherman!) to adjust out ... maybe there is something more sinister? Looked at the relay box and damper there does not appear to be play here when the wheel is moved.
  3. The steering box was covered in "oil". There is a square socket on top is this for filling - what oil?

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
mike

  1. Yes your on the right path for adjusting the steering box....you will need a 24mm spanner for the lock nut and about 12mm open ended spanner for the adjuster. The 3 fixings holding the steering box cover should be just nuts and bolts, so as long as you have some replacements cutting them off isnt so drastic.
  2. Its not alot of play to take out relatively speaking, but, make sure you dont over adjust the steering box as it can make it 'lock up' the first time you come to do a hard turn. Your supposed to adjust it until you just get the free play out.
  3. Yes the square socket is for filling up, as i remember it you supposed to fill it to the bottom of the filler hole (if that makes sense). You use the same ep90 you use for the axles etc.

Hope this helps

Johnty

Reply to
johnty

So johnty was, like

Just to add - most of the wear in a steering mechanism takes place around the straight-ahead position, for obvious reasons. If you adjust out all the play in this position, you may find it over-adjusted for the extremes of lock. The only safe way is to do it with both front wheels off the ground, and adjust so there isn't excessive resistance at any angle of steering. If that still leaves you with excess play at the centre position, then it's a new or overhauled box you need.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Unless it has been running without oil for some time (possible) it is unlikely that the steering box is the major source of the play. By far the most likely place is the ball joints on the linkage. There are six of these, two on the track rod, two on the drag link from the relay unit to the steering arm, and two on the drag link from the steering box to the relay unit. Other, less likely, places for play are the splines on the top and bottom of the relay unit, and the splines on the pitman arm where it goes onto the steering box. Other possibilities are the steering box itself being loose. In all these cases it takes very little play to turn into a lot at the steering wheel. And I found a new source with mine recently - loose steering wheel. The splines are not a real tight fit, so it relies on tightening on to a taper to ensure no movement - and the spring loaded top bearing ensures that if slightly loose it is not apparent. JD

Reply to
JD