Sticker Removal

2 weeks ago I totaled my '89 Classic. Near mint condition. BOO HOO. Live another day.

8 days later I purchased a '96 Disco. Decent shape. Built for off-road driving. The previous owner decided to wall paper the vehicle in stickers from all over the world.

What can I use to remove them? I'm thinking of getting a heat gun to apply light heat to the body and a razor blade for the glass surfaces.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jack Kerouac

As you say but lowish heat, hair drier is preferable, try to peel off without breaking the sticker the heat going onto the section coming off, stubborn bits white spirit and very fine cabinet makers wire wool, remove residule any glue with white spirit and muslin rag, and/or ( you know the risks ) petrol, on glass same but its posssible to razor blade stubborn bits.

art

Reply to
aw

In news:Sqjwc.6509$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny02.gnilink.net, Jack Kerouac blithered:

WD40? Good for removal of stckers on computers, maybe on body shells?

Reply to
GbH

Believe me believe me not....

Pledge! or Mr Sheen! but it must be the one with wax in it..... it is fantastic for removing gungy sticker residue, aspecially on Glass, but also works perfectly well on paintwork...........

HTH

Greg

Reply to
Greg Hale

WD40 is pretty good at getting gummy sticker marks off as well

Reply to
wayne

I'll second the 'Pledge' my mate runs a second hand shop and buys loads of stuff at auction, used to tear his hair out trying to get all the 'lot no.' stickers off, then he discoveryed 'pledge' You can also get a 'Sticky Stuff Remover' from one of these catalogues that come through your door, 'Betterbuythisware' or 'Kleen-eezy' it's based on oil of orange. Smells nice and takes price labels off CD's just great!

Willie B

Willie B

Easy Off or similar oven-cleaner does an excellent job without hurting paint. Let it soak an hour or so, then scrub those suckers off.

Peace,

Tor

Reply to
Tor

In message , Greg Hale writes

And the black streaks on caravans!!

Reply to
Graham Jones

In message , GbH writes

I notice a few recommendations for WD40, be careful as it is corrosive to certain types of plastics and rubber.

Reply to
Graham Jones

Maplins used to sell a similar spray, though not scented. I don't know it it's still in their current range, but they're work checking. Not so good on auto-electrical connectors, you're paying for the packaging, but there's some potentially useful stuff.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Bunch of whimps. Angle grinder does the job perfectly, has no CFCs and is a reusable product...

Reply to
Mother

Servisol Label Remover 130

Dunno what the '130' refers to, though.

The reason I haven't mentioned it here is (unlike a lot of Servisol stuff), it's crap.

Reply to
Mother

Mother wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's a bit over the top in my opinion. A wire brush on the angle grinder is good for removing the charred label, though, especially after a good roasting with the oxy-acetylene.....

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

'Course, when I said use WD40, I meant with a Zippo as a flamethrower after first dousing the area with petrol and wearing nowt but t' knotted hankie, clenched fists and short moustache tha' knows...

Reply to
wayne

Twas Sun, 06 Jun 2004 16:36:32 GMT when snipped-for-privacy@lardrover.co.uk put finger to keyboard producing:

PMSL

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

REMOVE stickers?! What hell have I entered?

Reply to
The Neffalump

It's the latest Gordon Ramsey venture.

Reply to
wayne

I have also used acetone with good results. Less aggressive than thinners and white spirits.

Reply to
Aubrey