Sticky handbrake problem on 90 300Tdi due to oil leak

I have only just been able to get this ng so apologies in advance if this subject has been done to death before. I have a 94 Defender 90 300Tdi which has a recurrent problem of oil leaking from the transferbox into the handbrake drum.The amount of oil is very small but it makes the linings stick to the drum. I have replaced the oilseal twice and the flange/spline/socket that rotates inside the oilseal but each time the problem recurs after about 6 months. The last time it recurred it looked on close examination that the oil was not leaking between the seal and shaft but seeping between the splines of the inner and outer shaft ( if you understand me). I cleaned up the drum and linings and in retrospect it seems likely that it is this that gives me the 6 months respite and we have not got to the bottom of the problem at all. Have other owners any experience of this problem please? What did you deduce was the fundamental cause of the problem? Most crucially what is the permanent solution please? All contributions gratefully received.Many thanks.

Reply to
Hawkeye23

Hi Hawkeye, have seen this problem before, to the extent where after 3 visits to 2 different workshops the owner had given up on a solution.

Pleased to be able to say we were able to fix the problem, and it was potentially one of the cheapest solutions around.

Assuming that the ouer flange on the output shaft (the surface the oil seal runs on) is in good condition and not worn, then check the felt washer (PN 571468) is being used at the end output flange. A lot of people don't put this in, and instead rely on silastic etc which doesn't do the job as well as the felt washer.

The good news is that the felt washer is available on its own, and will be one of the cheapest parts you buy for a LR.

CHeers

Phillip Simpson

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

youre brake shoes may need the ends of lnings sanding off a bit, so as to make it so only the middle of the shoe contacts the drum .

when the shoes wear down they make contact with all the brake drums surface and do stick . if you get an electric sander and taper the shoes down on the last 3" or so of the ends of the lnings , only needs a small amount taking off so that you can rock the shoe slightly back and forth when its placed inside the drum and rocked by hand . make sure you wear a dust mask when doing this though .

it will sort the problem out as its happened twice to me and this is how i fixed it .

you arent trying to sand a ton of material off the lining but just to give some clearance at ends of shoes , ie make them oval in shape slightly so they dont bind so much .

you will still have a good handbrake .

cheers .

Reply to
M0bcg