Still got slight trans backlash 110

Coming from front propshaft. Sounds metallic so I got underneath with vehicle handbrake on. If I twist the front propshaft I can get 1/8th turn from it before it makes the exact metallic noise as it meshes with either the box or the diff. It's had new UJ's in the last few weeks.

Is it play in diff or box or both?

Back propshaft is fine with handbrake off. I thought at first spline wear, but it is too tinny sounding & at the front end.

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"Say hello to my little friend"

Reply to
Nige

Must be in both since the handbrake is on. The play in the transfer box is probably mostly in the thrust washers of the centre diff - lock the centre diff and compare. 1/8 play is not really excessive. To check how much is in the front diff you need handbrake off (chock wheels) and main box in neutral.

Reply to
JD