Still more Disco questions

I'm really grateful for all the answers to questions of mine and others here, and have now just missed two Discos on sale locally (it has taken the NFU a long time to tell me how much the insurance would be). I was looking for a 300 to replace my 200 Defender, but have read a lot about TD5's, and now think I might, just might, be able to stretch the budget to an early example.

This raises even more questions regarding the TD5.

I've read that the TD5 engine needs no catalytic converter. Is this correct, as some on ebay seem to be listed as having these devices.

More importantly, regular readers will be reminded that I drive 100 miles, tow a boat round a field to be craned in or out (any potential purchasers of the 110 please note that it never goes anywhere near seawater) and then drive back. For the long drives I really want an auto box, so the questions are now about the tractor type work at the far end and how a TD5 Disco might cope.

The 2.5 ton boat is on a 2-wheel unsprung launching trolley-type trailer. Thus it is prone to rock about its axle, and over larger bumps the bow has been known to gently caress the back of the Defender's roof. Not enough to cause any harm, but just a gentle clonk. The Defender's rear springs cope with the movement of the boat. So, a Disco has a rear shape that slopes forward, giving more clearance (I've parked alongside, towbar level with towbar, and compared). But it has softer springs, so there may be more movement. Then again TD5's seem to (all?) have some sort of rear air springing with electronic control. How would this electronic control work with a heavy, oscillating load fighting it? The more I've read, the more I get confused. Is this set up for standard road use with variable loads in the back? Does the program change depending on the gear selected? Would the air components go bang if suddenly faced with a heavy rocking load? I think, never having driven an auto Disco, that I would be working in low range first gear and reverse.

Is there a problem with supply of replacement parts for Discos? I've been told that with D1's cracked heads do happen and the supply of replacements is running out, also that D2's heads can't be skimmed, so replacements for these could become in short supply. Should any of this bother me? If I can make the Disco work, I'd aim to keep it for a long time.

I realise, and the declining number of friends tell me, that I'm becoming a bore on this, but I really do appreciate advice and opinions.

Reply to
Bill

As far as I know, ALL Td5s have cats. It's da law.

The 7-seat models all have rear air springs - not sure about the 5-seaters. When it's working, it's an excellent system and will cope with anything you throw at it. It will ride level whatever the load on the towbar (within reason, obviously) and will adjust the ride height constantly. You don't know it's there, except that your trailer always tows level. The system has the usual trouble spots, as with any vehicle - leaky air springs, duff height sensors (both fairly easy and cheap to fix) and more serious problems with the EAS pump (megaspensive).

Very well. Stop worrying.

It's designed for variable loads - that's what it's for.

Not as such, but there is a driver-selectable extra-high option that gives you another couple of inches' clearance at the back. Ths might help with your problem with the boat touching the rear body, too.

No, they won't go bang. Low range first/reverse will give you bags of torque and control, but for manoeuvering a lighter load (1.3t caravan) I found it almost too keen. High range coped perfectly well. For a 2.5t boat and a steep slipway, low first will do anyting you need.

No problems, and lots of suppliers. I'm told that Td5 heads can be skimmed, with care.

Bear in mind that no Land Rover is cheap to own, but they are so capable we don't mind! To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the Td5 - for a 2.5 litre common rail diesel, it's pretty feeble (136 bhp) and not economical especially in auto form. A V8 would be a lot cheaper to buy if you could stand the higher fuel cost of the 100-mile stretches. It would fit the bill very well for all your other requirements, and be a lot more fun to drive.

I suggest you try to grab a test-drive in one, get a feel for what they are like, and then come back with some more questions.

No question to this group is boring, as long as it's on topic (except for "what tyres should I buy", which is always boring, every single bloody time it comes back). Good luck with your search.

Reply to
Rich B

Hi again, Bill. There are plenty of knowledgeable D2 owners on here who'll be able to answer your questions better than me. On the subject of cats; I don't know if Td5 vehicles have them fitted but do remember at least one Land Rover advert that stated the engine met the Euro 3 (or was it Euro 2 in 1998?) levels without one.

As for your current dilemma about whether to go for a 300Tdi or Td5 I went through the same process earlier this year and finally settled the debate by fixing my budget and then seeing what I could get. I ended up with a 300Tdi but with what I've spent on it since then I could have bought a much later Td5.

Happy New Year to you, mate :-)

Reply to
SteveG

Just so I could prove to myself that I'm not going worse, I found one of the quotes at

"As a result of the sophisticated emissions controls, Storm meets all current and anticipated diesel emissions laws without the need for an exhaust catalyst."

Presumably someone failed to anticipate very well.

Thanks again for all the help. The local search continues for the right machine...........

Reply to
Bill

The only Td5s I know without cats are modified off-roaders. They are quiet enough, as the turbo acts as an effective silencer, but whether they would pass an MoT on emissions is not clear.

Reply to
Rich B

On or around Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:29:17 -0000, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

would in the UK as it stands now, AIUI, since it's just a smoke test, not an analysis. Put a non-cat pipe on the 300 TDi and it made it go quite a bit better :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:29:17 -0000, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

Just should add: an awake and ornery MOT-bloke might know that it "should" have a CAT and fail you for it not being present. Not sure if they can do that. But the emissions test, on diesels, per se, won't catch it. Unless of course you've chipped it and it makes lots of smoke :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

MOT tester can not fail it for not having a cat, it can only be failed if it doesn't meet the smoke test limit, nothing else. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Tue, 1 Jan 2008 10:45:08 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

hmmm. perhaps it's C&U/type approval? there's some kind of issue about it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles