Stolen 90's back!!!

However, once _everyone_ stops following the rules, you either have anarchy, or, a natural and accepted means of co-existence which is based upon unagreed norms - or, rules by any other name.

The experiment in the Dutch town, where they abandoned all road signs, rights of way etc was somewhat interesting in this respect.

Reply to
Mother

"Mother" wrote ((snip))

Did you ever find any accident stats for that experiment? Rumour has it that they all but ceased.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Neil Brownlee uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Putting one of my other caps on mention this to the school teachers / heads when you next go to the meeting. In fact sod it... mention it before!

Mention that your child has picked up on this and check up on how the school embraces "Every child matters".

This concept is exactly what you mention, nurturing the gifted and talented as well as those with special needs. Its also about alot more such as health, well being and ensuring the children grow to make a positive contributon to society.

see...I'm not as thick as I look

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I hear on the news that there is a radical new idea being bandied about to deal with this sort of issue. "Streaming" I think they called it on the radio........... somehow sounds vaguely farmiliar?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

But apart from being an interesting experiment, statistically it was/is meaningless, since it has a high novelty factor and is not the "norm".

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

to cross the busy

I'd say it depends on the junction. Have you tried coming out from a minor quiet road onto/across a major/busy one (especially at busy times of day). Hard work with no lights.

Reply to
Tom Woods

hassle to cross the busy

I do that on 3 crossroads every morning - I *love* it when the lights are broken, however after week or so the novelty wears off and life gets interesting.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

hassle to cross the busy

We were in Ft Lauderdale in October for Hurricane Wilma - all the power failed early in the morning, and wasn't restored city wide for about 2 weeks.

Americans REALLY can't handle no lights - accident rates shoot up, queues at junctions were 200 yds long at all times of the day.

We generally adopt roundabout rules, priority to stuff from your right.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I think there's a very broad range of benefits - not least looking at accident stats. People tended to drive completely differently (my original, slightly lost point I guess).

Mother

Although perfectly correct in your analysis, there are lessons to be learned and a fair amount of qualitative data to suggest cognitive changes and the creation of more harmonious 'shared spaces'. I understand this model is to be deployed elsewhere on a more permanent basis (Manchester and Ipswich spring to mind, not too sure where I got that from, though).

Reply to
Mother

err yes, of course :) isn't that how it's supposed to work - the road with the greater flow gets priority. Just like round-a-bouts (aka islands).

Reply to
William Tasso

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:38:50 +0000, Mother scribbled the following nonsense:

looking round many of the staff, it could be!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Don't worry just cos we happen to be at the extreme end of Europe and there ain't nowhere else to go, Greenland is going to open up once global warming really sets in and the ice melts :)

Reply to
Larry

And whats wrong with performing arts

I'll have you know I happen to drive an installation :)

Reply to
Larry

You can wait for hours sometimes though! Not that i have much trouble as i drive landrovers and proper solid swedish cars and am brave enough to push my way out! - but other people in smaller soft cars arnt always as brave!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I thought it had been in Central Manchester, but they just didn't bother taking down the signs ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd