Stolen Disco

I may be wrong but I thought that TD5 Discos were practically impossible to steal without the keys !!! Mine has just GONE, well within the last 2 days. Been away from home for a few days. Fully locked and keys (both sets) in a safe at work. Neighbour says it was there on Wednesday PM. Police have told me NOT to give out reg no as yet. Dont understand that either. I am 110% peeded off now, the best Disco I had ever had, and I have had a few. Left the defender, that was unlocked, as it dont lock, so now its back to basics for the Missus.

Stu

Reply to
tomtom

On or around Fri, 02 Dec 2005 22:45:33 GMT, "tomtom" enlightened us thusly:

anything can be nicked if you know how.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The inability to enter / start / move etc. only applies to the legitimate driver.

Reply to
Dougal

i know someone who had an escort xr3i turbo nicked when they were popular, the car was in a firms carpark with security on the main gate. they pulled up in a tow truck and said they were taking it to a garage for repairs, the guard even waved as they left towing it. it was found the same day at the side of a main road minus its engine, gearbox, wheels and interior.

Reply to
Paul

...and Paul spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Strange - chavs who nick your car and then carry out improvements :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Sat, 3 Dec 2005 14:34:21 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , tomtom writes

Chances are it was taken on the back of a lorry.

Easy to break in, easy to get steering lock off. But as you say a real sod to start without key.

Unless you have had it serviced recently and someone has added a key to the list of key fobs in the ECU. Then it is a piece of cake.

Reply to
Marc Draper

On or around Sat, 3 Dec 2005 17:43:52 +0000, Marc Draper enlightened us thusly:

coo, that's a nice back-door.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Applies to all LR products and probably many other makes.

You can add at least one extra key fob via testbook or other system.

Reply to
Marc Draper

I was thinking of crawling underneath and cutting the handbrake cable, always assuming that you don't need the steering on a straight pull onto the back of a lorry.

Alternatively just pick it up, like they do in cities when you over run your meter by 5min...

Nasty but ISTR that the ECU can only hold two keys and the up/down remote. Hum, worth checking that both your keys work when ever the car come back from a service?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

Disco II has 5 fob positions available, one of which is the up and down remote. So you have no way of knowing if someone else has been naughty.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Oh, nasty. I got the idea of 2+1 from reading the service CD I have. Only 2 keys did strike me as a bit restrictive. Hum, wanders away to see if there is a manual key training process... I guess you need the "lock code" number but nothing else other than the key and proceedure.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

No way of doing anything manually.

On any sales vehicles I get in I always check that the keys that come with the car are the ones on the BCU memory and then delete any extras.

The Disco II is a pretty secure vehicle from that point of view.

When someone fits a third party system to a Disco II (why the would want to I dont know) the alarm fitter will take the innards out of the original key and stick it inside the steering column to enable the immobiliser..

Reply to
Marc Draper