Strange 101 feature

If I put the 101 on a slight down slope in neutral, it rolls down the hill.

If I put the 101 on a slight up slope in neutral, it rolls backwards down the hill.

If I put the 101 on a slight slope in 1st, with the clutch in, it rolls down the hill (forwards or backwards).

If I put the 101 on a slight slope in reverse, with the clutch in, it rolls backwards about 2 foot and then stops, like the handbrake is on. It then will not come out of reverse for love or money. Fire the engine and drive backwards and it frees off.

What's going on? I thought it might be the handbrake catching in one direction not the other, but there is no resistance felt when reversing with the engine, and it doesn't explain why it rolls fine in neutral.

Summat up in the gearbox?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

When you say the clutch is in do you mean depressed? like foot to the floor?

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Yep. Is that the wrong way round - I've never known what clutch in / out really meant.

I'd expect it to roll, which it does for a bit, then stops.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

No thats just how I would have descirbed it, I only ask as you mention the clutch was in so I'd have expected roll , like what you did.

I can only imagine that the clutch for some reason isn't clearing 100% when it's in reverse perhaps down to some slack in the gearbox... but that would be alot of slack come to think of it.. Weren't you having some other issues with the gearbox as well?

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Change down to second is awful (virtually impossible). You can do it, but only by grinding it with the clutch half in and then double-clutching. Hard to describe, very noisy and not pleasant. It's very easy to drive without second anyway - engine is now very good.

Other than that it is OK, although I do have a Range Rover box sitting on the drive which I might get Warren to slot in. Condition unknown, but thought good. Hmm..

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Hi Tim

My Ser 2a does the same as your 101. In my case it is due to the fact that when we replaced the clutch plate last year I was unable to get to the master cylinder to adjust it properly (the screws holding the cover plate are rusted solid and I was going to get around to it - that was ten months ago). Anyways - the slave cylinder rod is adjusted as about as far as it will go but the plate is still making slight contact with the flywheel - it's OK on forward but, in reverse, it fouls slightly - just enough to stop it on a very slight incline. If you listen carefully you can hear the plate dragging inside the bellhousing.

Maybe you have a similar problem?

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

For some odd reason I'd got worn clutch on the brain. Is it pulling OK? Perhaphs for some reason not being fully engaged when you press the pedal sufficent due to slack only to effect reverse and 2nd gears... I have a recollection of a six stud article where a chap with clutch problems recounts wear in the orifaces which the thrust bearing shaft sit in on the bell housing. Of couse I could be way off mark so don't pull it to bits on my say so just yet...least not till the Disco is sorted and the IIa battery charged up anyway :-) ... Infact if it will keep going leave it till the winter then get it warrened :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Warren's due a go at the 101 anyhow, if only a service and general look round. And fix the diff lock. And fit the new (well, year old now actually) fuel filler. And finish removing the compressor. And find out where my brake fluid is going (well, I know the answer to that). And work out what to do about my leaky balls.

Oh bugger...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

In article , Tim Hobbs writes

It could be the effects of a worn gearbox.

In reverse the gear train is being forced out of true causing the box to lock.

I have had this on an R380 which is a totally different box but was down to the casing being worn and allowing the shafts to run at a slight angle to each other and give the exact same fault as you describe.

Try reversing along the flat and then drop the clutch, whilst keeping it in reverse. does it come to a juddering halt? or will it just coast to rest?

hope this helps

Reply to
marc

Yep, it comes to a juddering halt. The slope isn't really a factor.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

In article , Tim Hobbs writes

To totally eliminate the handbrake unadjust it fully so that it has no affect or even remove the drum.

Reply to
marc