Strange electrical socket behind aircon panel

Hi all,

My 1983 110 has aircon, and the usual "parcel shelf" is covered with a plastic panel containing the airvents (plus cigar lighter and clock). Behind it is the usual wiring and vacuum pipes, and the wiring loom has a strange 8 hole socket in it, one hole of which is the permanent electrical feed for the clock and cigar lighter. What are the other holes for? I'm thinking of getting one of the 52mm rev counters mentioned a few days back, and am wondering if it can be plugged into one of these holes (wishful thinking!)

Cheers, Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

No idea about your collection of holes but it was I that was wondering about Rev Counters. First h/fords I went into had a great big (80mm?) white jobbie - far too ostentatious. Next up I went into one o them there boy racer shops, a rev counter? wassat then?, then the manager: what car is it for? - hopeless.

Finally found one in another h/fords - black (green illumination) - had one of those daft orange needles for setting your gear change engine speed. fortunately, this can be removed by careful application of side cutters. Fitting was fairly simple so far as the wiring went, but I didn't go overboard on complexity.

Used some 8-way alarm cable I had kicking around, using the colors from the rev meter wire and doubling up with one other. two cables go to the coil - I used one of the coil mounting nuts as an earth point and as the wiring was already in more or less the right pkace I took the illumination feed from the wire feeding the side light (scotch-block thingie). The meter itself doesnt suggest any trivial mounting methods - currently using tie-wraps to hold it to the bracket where there was once a radio.

To do a professional job and mount the thing properly (including routing the wires) would take considerably more effort I think.

Reply to
William Tasso