Stub axles

Does anyone know of a legitimate reason why a garage would leave out the CV joint oil seal, roller bearing and thrust collar when replacing a front stub axle?

I had to take of my nearside one yesterday as the wheel bearing grease was being washed out of the bearings and being sprayed all over the wheel after escaping from the drive flange splines. The swivel housing oil was being topped up by axle oil (another seal missing?) which was then getting into the bearings and washing the grease out.

The stub axle was replaced by an independent dealer in February along with the CV, some may remember my rant back then about how F'ing useless they were.

I'm not going to let them touch the 110 again but I am going to confront them and see how they react when I tell them about the missing parts and see if they'll cough up the parts for me to fit.

Anyone?

Reply to
Simon Barr

Incompetance. No other earthly reason.

Reply to
EMB

That was my thinking, just wanted confirmation before I speak to them.

Thanks.

Reply to
Simon Barr

One wonders how they got it back together at all!

Reply to
Niamh Holding

I've been to see them and they were quite apologetic. They supposedly had trouble with a mechanic who no longer works for them! Not sure I believe that as it's a nice easy get out for them.

They have told me they will fix it FOC plus give me a courtesy car for the duration.

I may just give them a second chance...

and *then* avoid them like the plague.

Reply to
Simon Barr

I'd be muttering about damage materialising later to 1/2 shafts, CV joints etc etc and asking what they might do about anything breaking later on.

Reply to
Niamh Holding