stuck bonnet

hi all, the bonnet release on my 300tdi 90 is jammed solid. Have tried using Sandbag to hold bonnet down while I heave on the handle, but nothings moving.... what would anyone suggest trying next?

cheers mike

Reply to
mike t

You need a helper. My Corrado did this. I got Emma to pull the release with all her might whilst I pushed and pulled at the bonnet until it came open.

Don't forget to grease it up before closing the bonnet again

regards Pete

Reply to
Highbeam

Last time this happened to me, it wuz a 1994 Cavalier, but the principle should be the same...

I got a tent pole (a thin broom handle should do), laid on my back under the car, and pushed the catch over with the end.

Then I used WD40 all over the place, over the lock, and down the cable, and it NEVER happened again.. The Cavalier is now with my very non mechanical bruv, who hasn't grumbled, so the WD40 worked.

It Also happened as it had to pass it's MOT, and I had to get the hood up to do a brake pipe, and clean up what looked then to be a leaky PAS pump, so things where frantic ;)

Reply to
Me

As it's a 90, you can get your fingers in the grill to open the bonnet at the catch, or just unscrew the grill.

Reply to
murphwiz

"The Cavalier is now with my very non mechanical bruv, who hasn't grumbled, "

if he is non mechanical he probably hasnt tried to open the bonnet! lol

Reply to
Richard

I can do that with my 110 too...

Reply to
Wolverine

Just undo the screws holding on the plastic grille to gain access to the bottom of the catch and cable end.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

When my series 3 catch gets stuck, jumping on the bonnet before trying it seems to make it work!

Reply to
Tom Woods

You dont even need to take the grille off - just reach in between the slats and pull the cable inner forwards. Giving the bonnet a good thump downwards first seems to make it easier. Mines never worked since I pulled the "ears" off (and sliced my fingers open) in the cab......

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Mines never worked since I pulled the "ears" off

Yeah, they tend not to be too bothered by people self harming. Although I can see that pulling your ears off may reduce the road noise effect and work out cheaper than all that insulation stuff. It does however create problems with where to perch ones safety goggles at a later date though so should be given careful consideration before any one else trys this modification.

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Reach through the grille, about two slats down and in the second vertical gap, and you can get your finger-ends round the cable inner - give it a pull forward and the bonnet will release.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I had the same problem with my 300tdi 90. I removed the radiator grille, and it was then a simple matter to release the catch by hand. I found that the outer cable end clamp was not correctly located, and the cable badly needed oiling. After oiling cable and correctly locating the cable outer, the bonnet release catch works perfectly.

HTH

Neil

Neil