Stupid seat belt laws!!!!! grrrrr!!!

Greg uttered summat worrerz funny about:

They had to use the Ozone hole somewhere... holews don't just disapear... first they used part of it in the new REAL defnder market and Life style Pick ups, a boat that they didn't even have at their port never mind miss. Why not miss the people carrier one too. They only seem interesting in generating Bling and Gasket muchers at the present time.

That new little 4x4 Fiat demonstrates more balls that most of the landrover lineup at the moment..... and I'm an enthusiast!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

beamendsltd uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Those Mitsi peep carriers that tower about 18 inches above a standard landy seem to hit the mark :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Nod.

The Mrs was worried about the new "law" so sent me off to buy a booster seat.

Went to Halfrauds, who had the choice of 1) a tarty Britax moulded thingy, with clips to retain the main belt, plastic wrap around wings to position the hips etc etc, and was so wide we could never have got three people in the back again or 2) an £8 wedge of polystyrene with a thinly padded cover, which I bought as was assured by the dedicated professional sales person this would ensure we were compliant.

No BS, no Kitemark etc, and it did occur to me on the way home wheter a large thick cushion with the words "Booster Seat" nattily embroidered would be equally satisfactory.

David

Reply to
rads

embroidery? now there's a dying skill-set.

btw: did you see Austin's post on the subject (in a different thread - Re: Tow socket wiring) today?

Reply to
William Tasso

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:23:56 +0100, "William Tasso"

Yes. Quite liked it. Let us know how you get on with them and I might be next in line.

David

Reply to
rads

You won't have to - Smiling Tony and his chums have decided that people shouldn't get off on technicalities any more[1].

Mind you, the more I read about it, it seems that there are so many get-outs that Defender owners have nothing to worry about as I see it, as no booster seats are avalable, no inertia reel inward seat belts are available to fit them with anyway etc etc. Even a 4-point competition harness of the correct size isn't good enough!

Richard

[1] Excludes Government minsters, of course.
Reply to
beamendsltd

I'll take your word for it, I'm really not up on the fashion accessory

4x4 market which has never tempted me. I was convinced of their utter pointlesness last winter when I got my Transit stuck in a muddy field at an auction, I felt a pratt for all of thirty seconds until several dozen of them got just as stuck as me 8-). I sat there for a good ten minutes enjoying the spectacle as one after another the driver's faces lit up with smug grins when they thought they were going to finally justify having bought a 4x4, then came the horror as they got well and truly stuck, priceless!. Of course the farmers in their Defenders, Series etc made light work of it all. Greg
Reply to
Greg

Why not? If it is fitted especially for the child, and thus meets the shoulders etc. at the right place, I'd have said that it was exactly what the legislation was asking for! IFAICT it only says raise the child to meet the shoulder strap of a three point if the child is too short (and where does it forbid lapbelts? A lap belt is an adult restraint isn't it?)

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

Well on my Polo you put a key into a lock under the glove box, except that the lock is an optional fit and not there on mine so the nice people tell me there's nothing they can do about it!. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Think that deactivates the airbag, not the seat!

Reply to
GbH

What is an activated (or de-activated for that matter) seat?

Reply to
Dougal

Hence my question.

NB the origination page seems to have changed, now omitting the bit about airbags and childseats.

The original said something like: child seat must be deactivated.

Reply to
GbH

So the answer is to remove any and all the seatbelts from the rear of the vehicle, you may then carry as many kids over 3yrs unrestrained as you like but no adults nor kids under 3yrs.

Reply to
GbH

they have them in fighter planes and Aston Martin cars?

Mind had a big posh saloon a while back that had heated front seats - that is certainly one form of activation - of course that may or may not be desirable - depending on the nature of your relationship with the passenger :)

Reply to
William Tasso

I thought he meant deactivate the airbag so you could use a rear facing child seat? Greg

Reply to
Greg

[ignoring the humour possibilities of text comms]

take the fuse out?

Reply to
William Tasso

I think that's what the author meant for you to think, however what he wrote was ambiguous to the extent that he said to deactivate it, meaning/implying the seat.

Reply to
GbH

----- Original Message ----- From: "William Tasso" >

Shhh Vicky may be watching she did some shirts for friends and flea bay last year very nice too along with her quilts which also get the embroidery treatment

Derek

Reply to
Derek

i've got an embroidery/cross-stitch proggie somewhere....wanna copy?

Wolfie

Reply to
lifeis

As an aside, the daft new laws have hit the classic car community as well, at least those who own what used to be known as "2+2" seaters, two adult seats and two smaller seats. These seats also need to have booster cushions despite the addition of such a thing making the seat too dangerous as the child is then too high up in the car. Various car groups are making noises about it but there are "no exceptions" even when the law makes the safety situation more dangerous.

It's a pain in the arse as it is with the nanny state, but when the nanny wears hobnail boots and is blind as a bat it does get a little hard to take.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings