Sub amp

Please can someone help! have a discovery 3.9es 97 p plate,i have noticed the back door subwoofer amp has stopped working,can anyone tell me how to access the relay for the said amp! mny tnx Tim

Reply to
Tim pople

Tim,

I have the same problem.

If you take the pod door assembly apart, you will eventually get to the amp module, it is screwed onto the back of the two subwoofer speakers. There are two plugs one has power and the input (9 pins) and the other is the output to the speakers (4 pins).

I used a meter, and checked the 12v supply and that when the head unit is switched on there is a second 12v feed to the amp on the 9 pin plug. This was ok, so I removed the other plug and buzzed out the speakers (4ohms) both ok. As the amp was stone cold, there is a fair chance it has failed internally. I walked the 200mtrs to the LR dealer and asked at the parts counter for the prices (gulp) are you sitting down?

LSTC2935 AMP-AUDIO POWER £86 + VAT LEOT100010 SHEDDER WATER £6.64 + VAT

The water shedder is the plastic sheet that should go behind the speaker assembly to keep the rain out? After thanking them I retreated at speed with my hands (and wallet) firmly in my pockets. I have looked around but cannot find a replacement amp anywhere near that small or cheap.

So I decided that as I am an electronic engineer that I would repair my amp. I have disassembled it and diagnosed a likely component failure, tracking down a supplier of the part was difficult, but I have just ordered the parts and will know by the end of next week if I have fixed it.

Vernon

Reply to
Vernon

internally.

Just to let you know - I replaced the power amp IC in the amplifier and hey presto all working nicely. A result for £6.50 inc postage.

Reply to
Vernon