Summer Unofficial 08 - sites proposal.

Just trawled the Alan Rogers web site and come up with the following sites as suggestions as they have tourers, tents and potential for statics / cabins. Sites have also been located on ,

proximity to ferry ports, access to autoroutes (saves a shed load of time trust me!) ratings in the books or personal experience (as with Le Grand Large)

Here we go.

For a nice looking site near Ohma beach for say 3 nights

Then for the jolly just around 300 miles to seek some sunshine and true French Culture (£50 fuel - assumes 96 ppl 20mpg town and 25 motorway on autoroute plus tolls)

for say 7 nights (make it worth the haul and allow some real r & r) and final suggestion 3 or 4 nights at (add approx £55 fuel based on above stats)

putting us in striking distance of cherbourg for the return trip and also the american landing beaches and cracking countryside.

who is up for these then?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In message , Lee_D writes

All rather too large and "organised" for my liking - much rather have a more rural site with less on-site activities with a nearby bar/cafe. We really don't like the all-in type sites. I'd also ideally like somewhere with some good fishing nearby (these might have, but don't say) - French carp get VERY large ;-)

Saying that we may well still be up for it, but might find our own site nearby and just join in for the social side of things.

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

I also prefer more rural sites but for those with kids the ones with more activities mean a much nicer holiday for the parents (in my experience as both a child and when going away with mates with kids)

Much of the social side is camping together aint it?

Im up for this holiday lee but never seem to make any of the unofficials :(

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Suggestions and links then chaps. We can then compile them on

and have a poll as to which to book which should also involve kids and long suffering other halves. After all it's their Holidays too :-)

Saying it's not my cup of tea is easy, put some effort in!

Tom, if I hadn't met you other than at unofficials I'd think you were a figment of my PC's imagination just like EMB ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In message , Tom Woods writes

I always used to wild camp with my Father in my younger days - we both hated the organised sites, even as young as 4 or 5. I agree that most of the social side's camping together, but I'm not sure I'd cope with that sort of site :-( I'd be fine with a site with some facilities for the kids, just not to the extent that these seem to be organised on.

Like you, I've not made the unofficials so far - other commitments have intervened. I'm hoping to make it in October though - better time of year for me, the summer tends to get booked up a year in advance.

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

In message , Lee_D writes

Will do - might take a few days as I'm a bit snowed under at the moment with work and a sick 110 (still need to sort bearings and bushes along with a couple of electrical gremlins). I'm certainly not putting down your effort - I've organised trips for other groups and know how much goes into it.

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

Be interested in tagging along at some point if possible. Obviously already here, so once plans are finalised I could figure out the best campsite to meet up at and I'll bring the motorhome + family! Like Tom said, in my experience of the campsites around here the ones with activities are rather more fun for the kids - and hence more relaxing for the parents!

Are you planning on going to the Vendée meeting? If you let me know what sort of area you are planning on spending time at, I could try and pay a visit to the campsite to see if it is any good - providing it isn't too far! We stopped near some great ones last week right on the beech around La Rochelle, but not sure if that's the area you want to be in.

This site has pretty comprehensive listings...

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

Old dears have just got back from France, and the part of the Vendee they were in (Near Jard sur Mer) they were paying 1.06 euros/l or

75p/l for diesel, with slightly less in the supermarkets. LPG was 0.5 euros/l or 35p apparently. All based on 1.40 euros to the £1

Jard sur mer is a very pretty town, and the last time we were there (2.5 years) they were upgrading most of the routes into the area off the autoroute at Roche Sur Yon.

Our situation is further complicated by the old dears wanting to take Harry with them for the first couple of weeks, although they just drive straight down and park up at the same site for 6 weeks! They recomend

All facilities onsite, and the pretty little village of Avrille about 5 minutes walk,and the beaches about 5minutes by car. We may end up there for theVendee part to make things easier for us-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Matt M uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Normandy and Vendee areas seemed to be the concensus.

When is the Vendee meeting and do you know where. We can always try and build it in.

Matt , I did find a site a while back that did lane tours of battle fields which may be of interest in the Normandy areas. Are you familiar with these peeps and know of any web sites for them?

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

In message , Simon Isaacs writes

I like the look of that site more - still plenty to do for those that want the facilities but a more natural look to the site, looks more like a campsite and less like a caravan park.

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

Not sure, I tried to look but couldn't find any dates for next year. Will ask a mate of mine who went this year if he knows, but I don't think any dates have been set yet - at least it isn't on the online calender that I can see.

Are these the people you are thinking about?

I remember reading an article about them that gave a good review, but as I recall, they are expensive.

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

Sounds interesting. I still want to do the tour with these guys, who do WWI battlefield tours.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Will Wilkinson uttered summat worrerz funny about: They

Two star? Two Star? Summer Holiday.... Two star?

Call me a snob but not while I've got a breath in my body am I paying to cart the Caravan over to the french equivalent of Brandy Wharf.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I'm with you on that one matey!

Reply to
Nige

Yeah, that looks good to us, we are happy to go with someone who knows what they are doing in France.

No two star s**te though, more than happy with your suggestions Lee.

We would have to book a ferry that suited us, due to the longer journey etc, but will all be around for the convoy down to the main site.

Reply to
Nige

On or around Sun, 2 Sep 2007 23:10:46 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

too early to say. If I get the 110 fixed, and if I've got enough money and if it don't clash with harchery, then yes.

quite happy to go with your suggestions re: sites.

If it fits in, I'd personally like to look at their monster bridge in normandy and also if it fits in I'd like to visit the former GP circuit at Reims, but if they're too far out of the way, so be it.

One day I'll make it to Le Mans for 24 heures... hopefully before some arse bans it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles