Suspension Bushes

More questions from me.

I bought a bush kit for my 1985 RRC and have replaced all the rear bushes and springs. The bushes are the standard rubber and steel ones.

My method is to replace all the bushes, reassemble the suspension loosely, lower the vehicle so that it is resting on its wheels. Then I bounce it up and down to let everything settle. And finally tighten everything up. Does this seem like a reasonable method?

Should the only movement be from the elasticity of the rubber and not from free play between the bush and mounting?

I ask this because there is now some creaking from the rear suspension.

Maybe everything has settled properly in the last few months and I should loosen and tighten everything again.

Thanks Paul

Reply to
paul

That method of assembly should be OK. The only movement should, as you say, be from the elasticity of the rubber. Loosening and retightening everything will not hurt but should not be necessary. The creaking noise, however, suggests that something is moving that is not just the rubber flexing - in other words, something needs tightening, not loosening and then tightening. Also, from memory there is a ball joint at the top of the rear axle that is not an elastomeric bush, but is a steel ball joint that is allegedly permanently lubricated, the same as my 110. It may be dry, which means it needs to be replaced. JD

Reply to
JD