suspension clonk

I have a clonking noise from the rear of my 200Tdi Discovery. It occurs when driving over a bump (like speedbumps) on the rebound (i.e. when the rear of the car is over the bump, has gone down and comes up again) at the end of the travel.

So obviously there is play somehwere, but where. I have fitted new shocks all around, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter Vroom

Probably one of the suspension bushes is worn, loose or both, allowing metal to metal contact. Most likely is the lower links on the back axle, but could be any. If it clonks when going from forward to reverse or braking to driving, suspect the ball joint on top of the axle. JD

Reply to
JD

Its very likley to be the big ball joint on the 'A' shaped top link on the rear axle. There about £22 to buy and are a right pain to fit... and I've got another to do on our disco now :-S Toby

Reply to
TVS

get underneath with a small crow bar and start moving bits of metal around checking for movement in the bushes, somewhere you'll find alot of movement.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Thanks folks, for the suggestions.