swivel bearings.

on a disco I. can they be adjusted, or do I need to replace the one that's slack?

and yes, I'm a lazy sod and yes, I could read the book.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Unless I am mistaken they are shimmed in the traditional Landrover manner - but if there is slack then it is likely that they need at a minimum the top bush, possibly the swivel pin and lower bearing as well, although a temporary fix can probably be managed just by adjusting the shimming. JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Wed, 20 Jun 2007 06:30:45 +1000, JD enlightened us thusly:

I'll have to look into it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

More likely to be taper rollers top and bottom (á la RRC) but with the usual shims top and bottom. One or both of the bearings are likely to need changing but re-shimming will provide temporary relief.

Reply to
Dougal

Methinks the exception to that is if it has ABS, then it's a version of the older RAILCO bush, but hollow to accept the ABS sensor. Most I've dealt with have required new railco bushes, as the play has been down to wear on the side face of the bush/pin. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I think that you're right - where ABS is fitted. Did the Disco 1 ever get ABS?

Reply to
Dougal

Yes, had one in the workshop t' other day. Funnily enough, it's coming back soon for railco bushes!! Seen quite a few D1's with ABS over the years now. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

IIRC It's not a fibre bush as in the Series motors but a steel backed brass affair with a radially arranged thrust bearing at the base on the ones with ABS and not a lot of room for wear. If it's not got ABS then they are normal taper rollers top and bottom but in either case I would renew the parts rather than trying to adjust them, you'll find it's better in the long run.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Fri, 22 Jun 2007 20:13:24 +0100, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

No ABS on this one. I'll have a look in the parts drawer, I've an idea I might have some roller bearings for swivels.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Our '97 ES has ABS.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D