Swivel joint pre-load

Can this be done on the car, or do the swivels have to be removed?

The last time I did it was off the car in the garage but it was part of a complete refurbishment of the swivel on my son's car.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Can be done on the car quite easily. I did my Disco pre-MA ones on car just a few thousand ago when checking for a steering shimmy.

May have to put a jack under the swivel to stop it dropping when you remove the top kingpin/bearing to insert/remove shims, otherwise it will flop on the swivel ball seal and oil will leak out.

Just unhook the drag-link and track-rods and you're good to go. Use spring balance as normal. Preload value will need to be bit higher due to assembled swivel with seal etc. I usually set them at about 8kg but don't be too picky about it.

cheers, Craig.

Reply to
CraigB