Synthetic engine oils and 300 TDi

Hi all,

Tomorrow, the Disco goes to the shop for a new timing belt and MOT. I'm thinking synthetic engine oils, now. Is this a good idea? Synthetic oils being much thinner... Anybody done this to a 300 TDi engine? And did it go horribly wrong? What about gaskets and seals?

Thanks,

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I don't think a fully synthetic oil would be a good idea, and you probably won't get any benefit from it on an older engine that's been used to mineral oil anyway. I find a good 10/40 semi-synth is a good compromise. Smoother than mineral without the worry (and expense) of a fully synthetic. But the most important thing is to change your oil regularly, at least every 6,000 miles.

Kev.

Reply to
Kev Ellis

Synthetic oils

At 6000 mile intervals any Super High Performance Diesel mineral oil will give as good or even better engine protection and cleanliness compared to a synthetic. The standard you should look for is ACEA E2 or MB228.1. Any oil that meets either is great. If you require even longer potential protection from your oil then E3 mb228.3 or API CH4 are what you should look for on the can. Oils meeting these standards are commonly available and are relatively cheap. If you cannot find one at your local factor or accessory shop then a truck fuel stop is sure to have some. LSUK shops also stock oil.

The standard met by the oil will be in the small print on the can.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I used to have an old Austin Maxi - fabulous car BTW - which I treated on Duckhams. That went really well, that's why I thought about using synthetic engine oil. But after Davids and your comments I think I will stick to the regular stuff. Thanks.

Richard

Kev Ellis wrote:

Reply to
Richard

I'm in Holland, but I've printed the message and'll have a look.

Thanks

Richard

Huw wrote:

Reply to