Tax n seats

Hi

I realise this is probably well known, but after several google searches I have found no useful info, so here goes.

Second hand Defenders with no rear seats or windows seem much cheaper than their 7 seater equivalents. I'm guessing its a tax thing.

Can a 3 seater have rear seats/windows fitted and if so, is there tax to pay. Also are their any other issues (structural/safety/or legal for instance) I should be aware of?

Cheers, Tod

Reply to
Tod

so Tod was, like...

Assuming you are in the UK, then no. AFAIK, the rule used to be that vans did not attract Purchase Tax (long ago) when cars with windows and seats did. If you bought a van and fitted windows to the back, you technically had to admit it to the tax people and pay the extra. Whether anyone did is another question. But this is back in the 1960s. Defender vans (90 and

110) are often sold today without VAT, so there is another 17.5% to pay if you are a private buyer. If you are not in the UK, none of this applies. But mainly, not as many people want them, so they are cheaper.

Yes, easily. The windows are an easy job if you are handy with a jigsaw. Seats (simple bench seats or luxury forward-facing items) are readily available and bolt in. The only headache might be getting seat belts to fit and satisfy an MoT inspector.

HTH

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I think after something like 3 years or so it doesnt matter whether tax was paid or not? Richard

Reply to
Richard

Thanks Richard

That was very useful, and yes I am from th UK...Should have said.. One day I'll get the hang of these computer things..

Tod

Reply to
Tod

It's not tax in the sense of number of seats = more/less tax, but there

*is* VAT. A hard top will, typically, be sold with a VAT content since it will most likely have started out life in commercial use. A Station Wagon most likey will not. The VAT rules, and who paid what and when is stunningly complex, and it is possible that some innocent private owner could get a visit from the VAT man demanding some money (not very likely though). While I think I have some vague understanding of the VAT rules for vehicles, the only people who can tell you for sure are the VAT men themselves, unless some *really* knows any speculation is likely to be very unhelpful.

As for putting side windows and seats in - well, that changes the VAT situation for the vehicle as it goes from being a van to a car, but what should be done about it I've no idea. There is no time limit for how long something attracts VAT.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

My knowledge may be out of date, but FWIW:- VAT has to be paid on all new vehicles in the UK, but if the vehicle is 'commercial', the tax may be reclaimed by a VAT-registered business. The difference between a 'car' and a 'van' is, or used to be, whether it had either rear seats or side windows behind the driver. If neither, then it was technically a van, and VAT could be reclaimed. I believe this has been complicated by pick-ups with two rows of seats in the cab, but presumably it doesn't apply here. If either of these parameters is subsequently changed, i.e a van is 'converted', the fact must be declared to Customs and Excise, and appropriate VAT paid. There was a vehicle age-limit on this: I have in mind seven years, but I may well be wrong/out of date, so check the C&E website or ring them for advice. But get it in writing - either a C&E leaflet or a letter, if you are going to 'convert' a vehicle.

SFHL

Reply to
Tony Atkinson

On or around Fri, 5 Aug 2005 15:04:55 +0100, "Tony Atkinson" enlightened us thusly:

There also used to be a thing called "Car tax" from which commercials were exempt.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Unless the rules have changed, this may be of use.

I bought my first 90 in 1991, it was a hard top. I enquired of HM Customs and Excise as to the tax implications of fitting side windows to the rear of the front seats. I was told that I was required to inform C & E and if I remember correctly, they sent me a form to complete. I asked if there would be anything to pay. I was told that the purchase tax payable was related to the age of the vehicle up to 6 years(I think), after which there was nothing to pay. HOWEVER, it was still a requirement that C & E be informed.

Since that 90 was registered in October 1984 it was over 6 years old. So I submitted the required paperwork and subsequently received a written confirmation of that. I kept this letter and passed it on to the new owner when I eventually sold the 90 some years later, so I can't go and check it for you.

There is another issue of course; and that is insurance! I also sent the same documentation to my insurer, as the fitting of side windows is a modification. I also included written confirmation that the vehicle had had rear bench seats fitted by the previous owner.

I personally, have made sure that I have always informed my insurers in writing(and kept a copy) of any modification made to my vehicles, just to be on the safe side in the event of a claim.

Of course the rules may have changed, but I'd advise contacting your local Customs & Excise office to find out for yourself.

HTH

Neil

Neil