TD Loosing Power... sometimes !

Hi, Well its a 1986 ex MOD 110 conversion with a 1989ish TD. The problem is quite strange and started when I put the engine in. When going up a hill with a left hand bend it would loose power until one night it cut out and wouldn't go again.

I replaced the lift pump, blew all the lines clear, cleaned out the sedimenter at the rear and it went again but would still loose a bit of power occasionally. It could be ok for weeks and then do it all day long.

Its started go get worse in the last two days, I cleaned out the lines again, checked the sedimenter again, drained the fuel filter, replaced the engine stop switch (well you never know !) checked the lift pump that was new 4 months ago and everything looks OK.

There is no excessive smoke (other than the normal TD stuff) its not using ANY oil or water. When it cut out yesterday there was fuel in the filter to the point where it came out with a lot of pressure when I checked the water trap screw.

When its loosing power its normally over 50mph and can slow it down to about 40mph, if you ease off the throttle it can sometimes make it surge in power.

Has anyone had this sort of problem ?

Thanks Pissed off in Wales __________________________________________________________________ Brenden Bithell Rev ICQ#: 135322460 Current ICQ status: + More ways to contact me __________________________________________________________________

Reply to
survivalschool

Friend of mine has a VW Beetle that had an intermitent problem with the fuel feed. In the end they decided that it had to be something like a speck of paint that acted like a flap and under the correcct circumstances shut the line to fuel. In the end he replaced the fuel lines and hey ho problem gone ?? Is it possible to run a temporary line from the tank to the pump and see if the line is OK. BTW he blew the line and much more.

Reply to
Hirsty's

In message , survivalschool writes

Had a similar problem a long time ago on a series 11A turned out to be one of the pinch bolts on the throttle linkage not tight enough. Norm

Reply to
norm

survivalschool vaguely muttered something like ...

Very similar on my old S3 .. turned out that the new petrol tank we had fitted by 'experts in Landrovers' hadn't been cleaned internally and all the accumulated shelf dust and sundry crap was clogging the fuel pick-up filter inside the tank. Cleaned it all off, swilled the tank out to clean it and it was absolutely fine .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Speaking of shelf dust ... I got a genuine parts inner wing for Alfie , ordered direct from Landrover.. Now given the state of the box I'm certain it had been on the shelf since 1990. I've never seen branded dirt before. Trust Landrover to think of everything. I've still got the box in the garage.. It's like a status symbol.. look I bought a "genuine part" and it cost a lorra lorra money.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D vaguely muttered something like ...

Is that like the branded mud packs they sell shogun drivers ?

Reply to
Paul - xxx

internally

pick-up

Alfie

That is precicely why parts cost a lot of money. They don't make those old parts any more and a whole lot of them have to be kept on the shelf for a very long time to ensure availability in the future. Luckily, LR do take spares availability for obsolete models more seriously than most. However, given the sad state of their finances, either they will have to lower stocks or charge accordingly to cover the stocking. Personally, I prefer to have parts available for a long time to being told five years after production stops "sorry mate, that parts no longer available. Search the scrappies. There are plenty of old LR's there due to unavailability of critical parts"

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Alfie

Just had a look in uk.rec.cars.4x4 and a chap there says that Nissan can't supply a drag link for a '92 Patrol. Compare and contrast! Be proud.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Would the situation be reversed if you tried to do the same in Australia or some other area where Patrols outnumber Landy's 10:1?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs