TD5

Can somebody help with Engine oil as the owners hand book says i can use

5w/30, 5w/40, 5w/50, 10w/30, 10w/40, 10w/50, 10w/60. is okay

which one is best? & what do the numbers stand for?

Thanks

Colin

Reply to
Indi

Colin,

From this site:

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Viscosity Grade:

Viscosity is a measure of an oil's thickness, or resistance to flow. Lower numbers indicate thinner oil and higher numbers indicate thicker oil.

There are two types of motor oils, single grade and multigrade: Multigrade oils such as a 10W-30, are designed to have the viscosity of an SAE 10W oil at cold temperatures combined with the viscosity of an SAE 30 oil at engine operating temperatures. The "W" or "Winter designation indicates that the oil meets viscosity requirements for low temperatures (below 30°F).

I'll leave which one is best to somebody more knowledgeable than me.

regards

nemo2

Reply to
me2

In message , Indi writes

Doesn't it specify external temperature ranges for each one?

Reply to
hugh

Opps missed that big graph on the page :). Looks like 5w/40 is best for the uk climate.

Thanks for info guys.

Reply to
Indi

Reply to
Indi

If you nip over to the Landrover manuals site and download the latest manual for your motor ( free by the way ) you will find a chart (possibly not every model is covered ) which supplies data regarding the correct oil for your particular climate/season generally in hotter climes ( or in applications where the oil gets hotter) they recommend oils of a higher viscosity 10w60 if you are in the cold end of the world 5w30 to reduce wear especially when cold starting just select the range from within the chart I checked the D2 manual 2002 (no chart) generally for the TD5 weasel engines LR recommend 5w30 except in extreme temperatures handy site to visit, tho' most info will be as is your manual.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Reply to
Indi

In news:PETQh.50946$% snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Indi wibbled :

Which graph, which page?

Reply to
GbH

In message , Indi writes

5/30 is what I and most other dealers use for Td5
Reply to
Marc Draper