TD5 90 or TDi300 90..?

Steve,

Where did you buy the TD5 from? I'd be interested in looking at spec and price.

cheers

simon

Reply to
Simon Coupland

Simon

Depends on how long you want to keep it. I had 4 Td5's and now I sold the last one to buy a 1997 90 300 Tdi .... my thinking is as follows.

The Td5 is a gem under warrantee. However, after that specialized equipment is required for the electronics and spares are also more expensive ....find our about injectors.

Also, the Td5 is a more complex engine with much higher levels of technology in it that is not shared by other engines. I was wondering where I will get Td5 injectors in 20 years when LR has dropped the Td5 production? Also, Td5 and electrickery does not like water .... which is not shared by Tdi300.

Yes, the Td5 is a better performer on the open road and according to LR in South Africa, has proven remarkably robust. Tdi has more low down torque on the other hand so easier to drive well off-road.

So why did I go for a Tdi 300 ..... long term maintenance and repair cost will be lower. I can get a 2.8 Powerstroke engine fitted for less than a Td5 rebuilt. Power on this conversion will be better than a Td5 at low rpm. Spares is unlikely to be a problem for some time as we can still get Defenders in SA, fitted with Tdi 300's.

You have already got the Tdi. How much more will it cost to upgrade to the Td5 and what will you get extra

Not much help I am afraid but my 2 cents worth.

From Africa

Aubrey

.
Reply to