Td5 Flat Spot (Turbo?)

Hi all, I have just been advised that my 'flat spot' on my defender 90 td5 (1999) which stops it from going above 65mph is caused by a faulty turbo waste gate???? does this make sense to anyone? It accelerates well but when it gets to 60-65mph it just will not go any faster. It is like driving a lorry with a speed limiter. the vehicle is standard except has an ALLARD intercooler and breathes thru a KN air filter. Can anyone suggest any other things to try before a splash out loads of readies at my main dealer for turbo repairs.

Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

Sounds credible to me. If the wastegate is 'sticking' then you can get two effects.

Firstly, it sticks open, so you get little or no boost. You are therefore very down on power.

Secondly, it sticks closed. You get loads of power, briefly, then the ECU spots the overpressure and cuts the fuel off. When this happened on my old Nissan I could kangaroo at 50 mph!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

That is what I was told, over pressure, but thought that would be good for it not bad. do you know if it is an easy repair or serious wads of money?

Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

New or recon turbo I think. They aren't cheap. How old is the car?

Overpressure is probably good up to a point, but the ECU will have limits built in and will act to prevent engine damage.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

June 99, 55K.

Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

If you have a full service history you might be able to persuade your dealer to take your case to Land Rover for a goodwill gesture. Don't take the initial 'no' for an answer - press them and go to another dealer if necessary.

If your service book isn't fully stamped you'll find it tough going though. In my book 4 years and 55K is not acceptable life for a turbo.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

it certainly has a full service history from a LR main dealer, I will book it in and see what they come up with.

thanks, Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

Were any changes made to the engine management when the intercooler and air filter were changed? I ask as, though I never worked on the Td5, I have worked on diesel engine management systems and such changes *could* require software changes (or rather, paramater changes)? Just a thought, as turbo's usually work or dont (big style). I know it's a different engine, but I could have sold several new turbo's to 200 Tdi cutomers if I hadn't simply taped up the holes in the pipe to the to the actuator! A good look at the plumbing might not go amiss.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

No, no changes were made. I was told it was not necessary? what pipes etc need checking.

Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

Check for cracks/leaks in any of the pipes connected to the turbo basically.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson