Td5 into RRC - does it go

I've been looking ahead to a replacement vehicle, and have bandied around the idea of having a diesel P38 and also a Disco 2 in the next

12-18 months. However, when I look at the price of buying a newer truck with potential problems I am coming round to the idea of updating the RRC. One of the last 200Tdi's it's already a great truck, but with 130K+ on the clock the gearbox and transfer box have seen better days although not getting any worse. And the engine, although acceptable in performance on a flat piece of road, doesnt have the performance I would like especially when towing the bobtail or loaded to the gunwhales with people.

So, my question for you to ponder is:-

a.) Will a Td5 go into the ol' RRC. Off the top of my head, I am remembering that the Td5 will fit onto an R380 box? Not the LT77 which is in the Rangie at the moment. So would I need to change to the R380 type.

b.) Has anyone ever done this conversion? Or indeed know of anyone who has. I would have expected to come across it in one ofthe magazines over the years but only remember seeing an old 90 with one it.

I can't help thinking that the old Rangie with the Td5 in would be an awesome machine. I;ve had such good experience with the engine in both Defender and Discovery and would be lovely to give the old stager a new lease of life.

TIA

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

130k and you 200Tdi is nearly run in ;-) If it were my vehicle I'd be checking the engine was in good order, fitting a larger intercooler and replacing the gearbox with a rebuilt LT77 or a new R380. If the 200Tdi has been looked after it will have loads of life left in it.

People have put the TD5 into other LR models, can't say I've heard of one in a RRC but no reason why not apart from cost and complexity. If you had the engine sitting around from a write off and had lots of time then maybe - but I think you'd end up spending a small fortune by the time you aquired all the bits necessary even though the cost of the s/h engine itself is reasonable compared to earlier LR engines. An overhaul tuning and larger intercooler, new gearbox + t/fer gox will be a sight cheaper and give you a little extra poke without the complexity.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

Thing is, i've been down the modification route before adn i've never been that pleased with it. The 90 I had with a 200tdi in it was great but in the end it still never performed as well as the standard Td5 90 from work.

Also the Td5 is as fantastic tow engine which I do a fair amount of.

Where do you think the complexities would lie William? I know that the guys who modify racers and put Td5's into them can take out all the sensors that are not needed. And I'm thinking that the Td5 would fit straight onto the R380 box? I saw a 2001 engine from a disco from around a grand. I remeber reading the the ECU of the Td5 will also compensate to a certain degree for wear and tear?

Be an interesting vehicle though don't you think. Especially chipped and intercooled to 180bhp...........................?

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Quite agree, have a chipped TD5 in my Disco and it is serious fun even at motorway speed, what you need to do is find a good breaker who can do you a good price for all the bits you need, absolutely no reason why it can't be fitted to a RRC

Reply to
Dad

I'm guessing that, as you say, as long as I get the eninge with all the bits (ecu etc) then I should be well on the way.

I'm working on the principle that the boys that put them in racers, 3Ms etc should have already encountered all the problems!

What do you think? And who did you get your mods from?

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Be coming near the power output of its V8 peers then ;-)

I think that if you had a complete written off vehicle then it becomes an easier prospect. You'll find that you need to change things like the throttle pedal and you'll need exhaust bits and bobs from various systems, power steering may need custom hoses for your RR, I don't think it's so much that it isn't possible - it is, it's just that the work involved in aquiring and fitting all the essential little bits would quickly add up. Things like the fuel lift pump you will find you need, as well as the water filter. There will no doubt be other gotchas that others here can come up with for you to grab from the donor before starting. If I were to do it, I'd be taking the whole gearbox/transfer box from the donor vehicle as well, and losing the LT77. I agree though that it the end result would probably be a very nice vehicle to drive!

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie