td5 rough running, power loss, black smoke

Fellow members Hi from Greece,

Just a small note to advise you of a problem we were able to solve and which may be of interest to those of you who drive a TD5.

A fellow member's car has developed serious rough running problem (from tickover to high rpm), significant power loss (fifth gear was out of question when inclines had to be dealt with, car could not start to drive on second gear and had to be revved to 1200 rpm so as to drive on first gear and LOTS of black smoke on almost rpm when the accelerator pedal was pressed even slightly.

The problem has eventually been traced to the connectors between the injectors loom (the one inside the cylinder head cover) and the external part leading to the ECU. It was not oil related but apparently someone had tried to remove it by pulling the external plug from the wires which had resulted in damaging one of the wires. More precisely the wire corresponding to the third injector which was showing a "No3 injector" fault of the diagnostic. Further investigation on the nature of the fault was showing that the diagnostic could recognise the "No 3 injector" but as the "No 1" one!!!!

We have removed the protective covering of the external side of the loom, traced the problematic wire, re-fitted the pins, cleaned both plugs, tested the continuity on both looms and refitted everything.

The problem is now sorted.

Total cost 92 Euros including VAT charged for one hour of labor at an authorised dealership.

Hope this helps.

Take care everybody Pantelis Giamarellos

Pantelis Giamarellos

Don't talk to me about rough running/power loss TD5's. Mine has

80,000 miles on the clock.

I think I mentioned the blown injector seal that I had the other month. Poor starting, loud whining "air" purging noises from the fuel pump etc and =A3313 bill to replace all five seals, injector loom and front cam seal.

Week before last it started playing up again. Started OK, no fuel pump whinng, just lack of power and rough. Cause, fuel pump knackered, motor not running, apparently the injectors can draw some fuel through the system. =A3315 bill for new fuel pump... Maybe all the air purging etc with the blown injector seal wore it out?

Last week I'd just done a "spirited" join of a main road and taken the engine up to just over 3,000 rpm (my normal driving style is

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The big problem my spannerman has noticed is injectors dropping to bits, totally wrecking the engine, he's done 15 in a year.

Reply to
Nige

Eeek, keep your voice down the car is only just the other side of a door!

My spannerman said they had never seen a seized one before. But they were in the process of changing another but that was on a works vehicle and the rough running/lack of power had been ignored for a while (they drove it 'till it stoppped) and had probably been leaking diesel for a long time, thus had burnt a hole in the top the piston.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave hi,

sorry to hear about the troubles you are having with your TD5.

Take care Pantelis

Don't talk to me about rough running/power loss TD5's. Mine has

80,000 miles on the clock.

I think I mentioned the blown injector seal that I had the other month. Poor starting, loud whining "air" purging noises from the fuel pump etc and £313 bill to replace all five seals, injector loom and front cam seal.

Week before last it started playing up again. Started OK, no fuel pump whinng, just lack of power and rough. Cause, fuel pump knackered, motor not running, apparently the injectors can draw some fuel through the system. £315 bill for new fuel pump... Maybe all the air purging etc with the blown injector seal wore it out?