TDG Smart-box

Hello

I just wondered if anybody on this NG has had any experience with fritting a smart-box or similar product to a TD5 Disco.

Is the power increase useful in the real world?

Is MPG seriously affected?

Are they as easy and hassle to fit as the adverts make out.

Overall I'm reasonably happy with my 2000 Disco. Except around town. Pulling away from junctions. The car can be sometimes a bit hesitant at low revs.

So I'm not sure if the expense of a smart-box would be worthwhile.

Any comments or view points welcome.

C C

Reply to
Colonel

Colonel posted ...

I haven't fitted a 'Smart-box' to a TD5, but in general, and I _have_ tinkered with speeding many things up, if there is a problem already, then uprating anything is _not_ the way to cure the problem. If there is a problem with hesitancy at low revs, then maybe there is a problem with the system which needs fixing before souping anything up .. ;)

In this case though, I guess that as the Smart-box re-maps the software to the ecu (or so I believe) then it could actually cure the problem, maybe it's worth asking the manufacturer / vendor what they think before buying.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

|| Colonel posted ... || ||| I just wondered if anybody on this NG has had any experience with ||| fritting a smart-box or similar product to a TD5 Disco. || ||| Overall I'm reasonably happy with my 2000 Disco. Except around town. ||| Pulling away from junctions. The car can be sometimes a bit hesitant ||| at low revs. || || I haven't fitted a 'Smart-box' to a TD5, but in general, and I _have_ || tinkered with speeding many things up, if there is a problem || already, then uprating anything is _not_ the way to cure the || problem. If there is a problem with hesitancy at low revs, then || maybe there is a problem with the system which needs fixing before || souping anything up .. ;) || || In this case though, I guess that as the Smart-box re-maps the || software to the ecu (or so I believe) then it could actually cure || the problem, maybe it's worth asking the manufacturer / vendor what || they think before buying. || || -- || Paul || || (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

I had *exactly* the same symptoms with my 2001 Disco. It went back to the main dealer a number of times. They couldn't find a fault (the car had only done 12 months/6K miles with FLRSH, I was the second owner) and told me "that's how they are, sir".

I did quite a bit of research into the available modifications before I decided that spending up to a grand on a nearly new vehicle to get it performing right was throwing good money after bad (and LR notified me that the warranty on any system affected by a re-chip - which could conceivably cover anything - would be void).

I would guess the guy's car is performing as it should (the fact they remapped the later ECUs suggests all was not well with the earlier ones), or as well as can be expected. As far as I could find out, the Van Aaken smartbox has about as many fans as critics. Most people who had had a full re-map of the ECU - which the smartbox isn't - said it improved the car hugely. MPG should improve if you drive the same as before, or stay the same if you use the extra performance.

JMHO, of course.

Reply to
Richard Brookman